General Moderation Topic

We… are amused.

13 Likes

Dave_McCaig has been shown the door after posting their thoughts, only to subsequently explicitly indicate they had no intention of participating on the BBS at all.

We regret creating a compulsion to participate somewhere they did not wish to and have rectified the error.

24 Likes

One is wise to do that

6 Likes

so i’ve been told

by somebody

just now

8 Likes

21 Likes

When I was working office jobs, I did exactly this. I’m quick to snark and often sound more negative in writing than I intend to be. Somewhere along the way, I learned to write my emails, then sit on them for a while, then do a few softening passes. Sometimes I never send it- the act of writing it made me realize the email was about me and not any larger issue than needs solving. I don’t always do that here on BBS, but I probably should (as evidenced by a recent post that was moderated into the round file).

My employee reviews got a whole lot better when I started doing this. :blush:

25 Likes

I admire your poetry.

17 Likes

Queued up the song version:

11 Likes

This meme-to-be requires a fitting image! (Think, man! Think!)

15 Likes

I suspect many of us still in employment after a couple of decades have learnt this one weird trick!

21 Likes

Flabash has been given a timeout.

Suggestion freedom of speech is important is a no-brainer. There are plenty of examples of suppression of speech that make this clear. Suggesting governments suck at this and that it’s a complex problem? Also clear, because it is.

Suggesting that we must provide a place for discussions of bigotry, hate, and other evils otherwise, society is bad as those individuals can only come from a place where they have never been a subject of any of that hate. “No, you can’t talk about hate” is never as bad as the hate itself, and if you want to argue otherwise, do not do it here. You are not welcome.

34 Likes

User aidtopia has been banned.

What started as a discussion about labelling and semantics (always a slippery slope to begin with) instead escalated into a multi-topic sealioning attempt anywhere the word was used, and culminated with clear bad-faith attempts to disrupt conversation as a whole, despite good-faith attempts by both Authors and the community to have an actual discussion in a dedicated topic.

25 Likes

And nothing of value was lost.

14 Likes

That thread was one arduous read, I found.

But hey-ho, movin’ on. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

happy-new-year

21 Likes

LeonKowalski Has been given a significant timeout for leading a seventeen-reply derail of a topic that turned into a classic take-on-all-comers derail.

Additionally, while I can understand the spirit of misplaced white-knighting performed, I’m also going to call out that DukeTrout posting fourteen replies in response certainly did NOT limit the damage this poster was doing, nor did it in any way help keep the discussion on-topic.

Please do not feed the sealions. Thank you.

27 Likes

User mangochin did not take the hint from the suspension above, nor the specific admonishment in the topic they were sealioning in, so they too have been given a timeout.

Seriously, if you post 24 replies in a topic, and it isn’t about you, and it doesn’t affect you or your people or your community directly, and it’s only three days old, you are disrupting the community here, not contributing to it.

19 Likes

11 Likes

All of that to dissect a trial [ETA: Right, not even a trial; just an indictment] that hasn’t even started yet, where the defendant is one ::checks notes:: Alec Baldwin.

Some arguments just aren’t worth it.

8 Likes

It wasn’t even dissecting, it was… weird. We didn’t even really get to discuss the charges or anything because the air got sucked out of the room.

7 Likes