General Winter Holiday Thread!

But, but…Judeo-Christian something-or-other!

You can’t possibly be saying that the Judeo part has never really been honored or even acknowledged until now!!

9 Likes

I never thought I’d own an artificial tree, until one December night a few years ago. I was out taking a walk with Ms Shiv when I found this palm tree by the side of the road. It was filthy, but I immediately recognized its potential and carried it home under my arm. Most of the lights were burned out. I stripped the old lights, hosed it off and replaced the lights with LEDs. Now it’s become a Christmas tradition in our house.

18 Likes

This is one my wife’s favorite photos that I took several years ago in our backyard. It’s an 11x14 print matted and framed that hangs in the living room.

A few years ago I walked by and thought hats, they need hats.

12 Likes

my kind of Christmas tree!

one year, when i was maybe 8 or 9 yo, my grandmother took a stalk from a “century plant” yucca some 8ft tall with epaulete-looking seed pods on multiple branches that had dried out. she spray painted it with gold paint, placed it in a tree holder and put lights on the seed cluster pods, some clear glass balls and i thought it was spectacular!
fast forward some 40 years, my own kids were that same age and we lived in Arizona. there were lots of those dried out yucca “trees” and i recreated grandmother’s holiday tree, all gold and lit up!
another year i put Christmas balls on my avocado tree.
gotta just “go with it!”
love the palm tree!

10 Likes

VINCE GUARALDI

• … best Christmas music
  • … worst Christmas music
  • … meh

0 voters

4 Likes

It’s not the best (it is very very good) or the worst and it’s definitely not meh.

1 Like

GEN Z: What the fuck is this shit?

GEN X:

9 Likes

11 Likes
5 Likes

13 Likes
19 Likes

That’s basically where Ho, Ho, Ho (And a Bottle of Rum) came from.

7 Likes

And…

12 Likes

The sun sets here at 4:19 - I’m going to breakout the eggnog for a solstice toast!

15 Likes

Givel local sunset time it is left as a problem for the student to figure out where @KathyPartdeux is today.

ProvIdence, RI?

8 Likes

16:08 here today. Our dog doesn’t like going out in the dark. Poor wee thing isn’t getting many walks.

8 Likes

Oddly much further north- but my friend in Boston is at 4:19 today.

Maybe the weather app is wrong? A different source says 4:20. That makes more sense.

Let’s just lay this to rest:

11 Likes

Going North or East within a timezone will make the sunset earlier (if you are north of the tropic of cancer).

I was looking just now at the extreme west edge of China. Sunset there is at 7:30pm today! But going directly south to the tip of Afghanistan makes sunset 4:33pm.

10 Likes

solstice at 16:38 here on this island. maybe happy hour at the marina for a wee yuletide nip!
best o’ the season to ye all!
ETA: sunset not for another hour later. is that what y’all are measuring? sunset as opposed to solstice? because sunset will be 17:37 here.

7 Likes

My grandma made these all the time when we were kids, the tradition stopped with her passing.

For years and years we would just go to the Polish bakery in Hamtramck. Quite a few years ago the wife and I thought we’d give it a try, went well so for several years we would make a laundry basket full. After my heart attack we stopped with the frying of things but yesterday my wife said let’s make some.

It’s quite a project but fun. The only thing we didn’t do is get the points on the tips, wastes dough plus geometry was never my strong point.

Kruschiki - Angel Wings

11 Likes