Generation Z in their own words

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/28/generation-z-in-their-own-word.html

1 Like

what

Im sorry, what? can please someone explain this to me?!?

One thing modern society has made more difficult is making people feel like they’re part of the group. This is IMHO one of the big reasons for the rise of identity politics and far right movements. So many lonely people just want to belong to something. It used to be community, but we’ve destroyed our communities, or the population just got too big in the area. It used to be church, but young people don’t go to church anymore. It used to be fraternal organizations, but those are pretty much just for old people now. Some people can do it over the Internet, but many can’t. Or they fall into shady communities over in the Chans. This is also part of the persistent popularity of MMOs IMHO.

8 Likes

My guess is that Viviana has a black parent and a Jewish parent, but because her appearance doesn’t match what many people think black and Jewish people should look like, she isn’t automatically recognized as a member of those groups, despite her heritage.

20 Likes

Lol. Thanks, NYT.

4 Likes

52%20AM

… not even in the womb? I should hope not.

11 Likes

This person did:

I wonder if the distaste for peanut butter is related to the predilection for prenatal cannibalism.

11 Likes

I know that person just wanted to state, their mother was (at least) vegetarian.
But Xenomorph.

5 Likes

I got it too. It was just too funny of a mental image for me not to call it out.

My scientific study sense is tingling.

2 Likes

First the AI responses badly mimicked human responses.

Now the humans badly mimic AI responses.

9 Likes

The results — perhaps as is to be expected — are unexpectedly insightful, uncannily familiar, and disturbingly unready for the consequences.

Aye, this is pretty much on par with what youth would say throughout the ages, innit? (Or at least, any youth the NYT would be expected to encounter.)

I’m glad I grew up without the internet.

5 Likes

Om-nom-nom…

2 Likes

That’s how I read it. On review, though, part of what may be jarring is that she might appear to be inadvertently buying into the racist distinction between “white” and “Jewish”. Identity is a minefield in a toxic waste dump for adults, so I’m not going to blame a kid for (possibly) getting confused.

4 Likes

this. thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.