Genius way to clean a glass bottle from, the inside with a magnet and steel wool

Originally published at: Genius way to clean a glass bottle from, the inside with a magnet and steel wool | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Unless you use a really strong magnet, that’s not going to exert enough force to clean it if it’s really dirty. Also, even if it did, wouldn’t it scratch the shit out of the glass?

Ok, I Googled. Apparently 0000 steel wool won’t scratch glass, but this doesn’t appear to be 0000 steel wool.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s any kind of steel wool. Looks more like a stainless pot scrubber.

4 Likes

It will still cause scratches, which will allow microbial growth that’s even harder to clean out.

2 Likes

Just come to my house for a brewing session, PLEASE!

(No-one tells you brewing is 99% cleaning/sanitizing.)

6 Likes

No one except brewers, maybe!
A friend worked at a brewery and told me, “I’m basically a janitor/dishwasher.”

On the video, I feel like if it really worked, they’d have included the bit showing getting the scrubber out of the bottle at the end. I’m skeptical.

7 Likes

I have to wonder how to get the steel wool out of the bottle when you’re done.

1 Like

For cleaning some of my 1-gallon brewing vessels I use tiny ball bearings and sanitization solution. They won’t scratch the glass when you swish them around and clean much better than a bristle brush.

8 Likes

Yep this is how to do it - if you don’t have ballbearings, metal ‘bottle cleaning beads’ are sold by glass makers like Riedel.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.