Gentleman accidentally shoots wife and himself in church during gun-violence talk

Maybe Ruger will have to issue another recall notice?

http://ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html

In 2008, Ruger received a small number of reports from the field indicating that LCP® pistols could discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. We are firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all older LCP® Pistols. The retrofit involves installation of an upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge to the customer.

Change that to “might go off if someone sneezed, so we’re disabling the irony detector.”

1 Like

Probably been doing it wrong all that time too

Edit: did not carefully read OP nor follow up posts. Surperfluous post is superfluous.

Expand on that one because I have no idea what to make of it. Or rather, I have several ideas but I don’t want to assume what your thinking might be.

2 Likes

Well, it started with the genocide of the vast majority of native Americans… Fast forward a few centuries and open up Netflix and Steam. Over half of all movies, tv series and games involve homocide or other violent forms of death.

More like a lack of thinking.

3 Likes

You’ll get no protest from me that entertainment media in the U.S. seems addicted to violence. It wasn’t the release of Saw that bothered me; it was its box office sales.

But the U.S. is only one of many countries that consumes, in large quantities, such media. And genocide, as @Wanderfound pointed out in another thread, seems to be a pasttime of human civilization.

I’m not saying that violence in mass media isn’t a plausible exacerbating factor, but if so, I suspect it exacerbates something unique (either by degree or mere existence) to the United States. Gun supply is most definitely one such uniquity.

7 Likes

Not derailing your point. Keep going with that.

However, in Kentucky speak, “I’m comin’ to get you” does not mean we’re gonna go to the movies.

1 Like

Fine, but more to the point-counterpoint above, I doubt that expression is used much if any more in Kentucky than “I’ll kill you” is used in the rest of the U.S.

1 Like

I’d say historically yes (the past popularity of duelling). But currently, no.
Instead, some cops just shoot without warning. :skull:

2 Likes

Well yes, cops in so many places now are basically like a big sign that reads “I’ll kill you.”

5 Likes

Semiotics!

1 Like

Big walkin talkin semiotic weapons.

3 Likes

I was going to say “Use your words symbols”, but the joke wouldn’t have worked. They still use fists, clubs, bullets, etc. when it’s unnecessary.

1 Like

Interestingly, it is possible but very hard to complete a game of Fallout New Vegas as a pacifist, but the Caesar’s Legion (obviously) and Mr House paths require violence.

3 Likes

I felt a sense of accomplishment when I won a diplomatic victory as Sweden (Immortal level, One City Challenge, Classical era start) in Civ 5 without ever once fighting anyone (well, besides Barbarians).

3 Likes

Military fetish, solving problems by declaring war on it (War on Drugs, Terrorism, Crime, Gangs etc.), censoring sex but not violence, guns, death penalty, extrajudicial killings, continuous “real” wars, police violence, prison system …

1 Like

You were repressing the Free Folk! :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Barbarian: All we want is a camp. A fucking camp!

Swedes: Fine. In exchange, you stop plundering our trade routes and pillaging our cities.

Barbarian: Oh hey, look who wants their whole fucking world on a slice of hårt bröd. You know what, I’m done with you. Your people need to die sooner than lat–[gets shot with an arrow from behind]

Archer: [approaches Barbarian, now lying on the ground, bleeding]

Barbarian: [weakly, under heavy breaths] I–I--thought you were a scout.

Archer: I discovered an ancient ruins.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.