Gentleman attempts to steal bike parked at police station

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/02/gentleman-attempts-to-steal-bi.html

2 Likes

So the big sign saying POLICE on the wall was not a warning for this gentleman. Well at least he didn’t get shot.

5 Likes

I am SO disappointed that this “gentleman” has neither a top hat nor a monocle.

9 Likes

Bike thieves are rarely the most intelligent folks … This guy was certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

3 Likes

Several spokes short of a rim that Gentleman.

7 Likes

Wow, he found the crime too brazen for a white guy to get away with. If he was a pretty white woman the cops probably have helped her with the bolt cutters.

3 Likes

I could be cynical, but I feel like a buddy was filming that from a distance for their viral video.

2 Likes

This is worst than a Benny Hill scenario.

1 Like

I’m starting to have that feeling with every single video I see on the net - the bad drives out the good yet again. At least we still have cat videos

2 Likes

Also, the cop didn’t draw a firearm at all in the beginning but then pulled what looked like a taser. And then the guy seems to have had a concealed knife in his belt.

I see that bike thieves also have their hold-my-beer moments.

2 Likes

Gladstone Police at that, the irony is crushing me.

3 Likes

I expected a waxed mustache to twirl at the very least. Very poor showing. The good news is that some poor bike owner didn’t have their day ruined.

5 Likes

There might be a survivorship bias in play here. Smart bike thieves don’t get caught.

2 Likes

To cat videos!

J-Schmetz--cat-wine-bar-art
Credit: J. Schmetz

3 Likes

And the bolt cutter is leaned against the wall within reach.

1 Like

“… Officer, please now explain to the jury how the defendant escaped from his handcuffs?” :smiley:

3 Likes

Fascism, 1. Anarchy, 0.

1 Like

They seemed to spend a lot of time fiddling with his bottom.

And then they left the bolt cutters around to tempt another thief?

I got my bike stolen from a rack, not at the front door of the police station like in this video, but directly across the alley from police HQ here.

I figured I might as well report the theft, since I was right there anyway.

Desk officer: “Oh, we were wondering when you’d be in. White mountain bike?”
Me: “Nope, red. There was a white one locked up next to mine though.”

I guess a cop on the third floor of the police HQ looked out the window and saw buddy stealing the other bike. She ran out, but by the time she was outside he’d gotten through the lock and cleared out.

6 Likes