Gentleman calls police after Target employee won't sell him an electric toothbrush mispriced at $0.01

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/21/gentleman-calls-police-after-t.html

1 Like

Seems like he’s got all his priorities in life sorted out properly.

11 Likes

Christ, what a gentleman.

21 Likes

Leavitt also tweeted taunting crap after Anthony Bourdain’s suicide.

He’s basically a shitposting asshole who somehow scammed himself a blue checkmark.

19 Likes

Well, that makes it ok. (“Prize” is a nice Freudian slip, too)

Screenshot for posterity (just in case):

8 Likes

On the one hand, the number of time Target has overcharged me on items probably adds up to the cost of an electric toothbrush and I would be annoyed that the one time it skewed in my favor I wouldn’t actually benefit.

On the other hand, calling the police? Get over yourself.

7 Likes

So this guy gets all pissed off that Target won’t honor the price on an obviously mistagged item, so he’s going to take them to court – which will cost way more in time and money than any price difference in a mistagged item. Not to mention Target is a huge MegaCorp™ who could just laugh this off.

Must be lonely on that tower built out of arrogance and principles.

(And don’t get me wrong, I fully get standing behind your principles and fighting for something you believe in – but I also believe in wisely choosing your battles. The stakes here are just so low it doesn’t seem to be worth it. Unless you have cause to get a class action going, I don’t get why you would waste your time and effort here. And shaming the retail employee that’s just trying to do their job is such an incredibly shitty and petty thing to do that it just makes you look like a total asshole.)

8 Likes

Does the US follow UK practice when it comes to shop pricing? On this side of the Atlantic a shelf price is merely an ‘invitation to treat’ and there is no obligation on the store to accept that price if there is a clear error in the pricing.

3 Likes

I like the response below by someone who points out the law doesn’t cover gross errors (which it defines), someone else pointed out that is likely the tag for the display which isn’t supposed to be displayed, ie, a minor mistake that this douchebag took as fact.

13 Likes

This seems like a very good example of white people calling the police like it’s customer service…

32 Likes
11 Likes

And it only applies to grocery items (i.e. food)? So the law isn’t applicable for multiple reasons?

4 Likes

Odds he sues BoingBoing for defamation? 10:1?

1 Like

If ever there’s a time to use self-checkout…

9 Likes

Putting on my former police dispatcher hat, of course they’d tell him he would have to sue Target. A dispute over a pricing error would be a civil issue, not a criminal issue, i.e. there’d be no police involvement because Target didn’t commit a crime. Something Mr. Leavitt should already know if he’s actually a journalist.

12 Likes

17 Likes

One more snafu like this, and he will be ready to run for President.

3 Likes

I’m curious how a person who supposedly can’t afford to visit the dentist for a semi-annual cleaning is planning to pay for a lawyer to take a case that is so obviously doomed to failure.

17 Likes

I don’t have the full story re Target (assuming there is a fuller story to tell)… but this whole thing reminded me of the long-since-past couple of times I’ve seen customers in sports shops and brick & mortar record stores pull low-price tags off of products for swap-outs onto higher priced items they had their eyes on.

4 Likes

I like that David can get pro bono advice to point out he’s a schmuck who’s wrong.

5 Likes