Gentleman calls police after Target employee won't sell him an electric toothbrush mispriced at $0.01

Reminds me of this class of police matters:

3 Likes

call the police over your dental hygiene purchases and you might get a cavity search

8 Likes

I felt so anxious the one time I found myself in a position to take advantage of MA’s pricing-accuracy laws.

It was just after Beyond Meat started hitting supermarkets, and it could be hard to find stores selling the packs of the unformed raw “meat.” But I stumbled across one that not only had plenty, but they all had “$9.10” stickers on them, which was like a dollar less than anywhere else.

But when I go to scan at the self-checkout, the couple of packs I grabbed both scanned at $9.99. I called the attendant over and pointed out the discrepancy.

Now technically, you get a mispriced item for free if it’s under $10, or get $10 off if it’s over (which makes this toothbrush story not add up at all), but my reading of the sign required to be posted at every register was that the discount would only apply to one such item — the store presumably has the opportunity to fix its mistake. Nevertheless, when the attendant returned he let me have both packs of Beyond for free. Funny how not making a-hole demands can work in your favor.

7 Likes

Having worked retail I can confirm that the store doesn’t have to actually sell you anything if they decide to, some businesses will honor mispriced items but they don’t have to.

4 Likes

The price tag CLEARLY says that is the price for the DISPLAY.

The appropriate thing to do is to take his hard-earned penny and hand him the non-functioning display.

But this guy went to twitter to make a scene, and apparently that’s what he’ll get :-/

3 Likes

Fixed that for you.

I think the bigger issue is that he deliberately targeted the store manager who explained his mistake to him, setting her up for online abuse. I’m sure Twitter will disable his account for online bullying or some such.

3 Likes

I’d like to suggest that he listen to Ariana Grande until he actually does pass away, leaving the world a better place for his absence.

2 Likes

What an obtuse shameless asshole. He should see if Devin Nunes has any staff openings.

2 Likes

Gentleman… in for a penny, in for a very public pounding.

6 Likes

The tag said “display” it did not contain the details of the toothbrush. The toothbrush was not priced at €0.01.

1 Like
4 Likes

I don’t want to wait for him to sue, in order to realize his pyrric victory savings. I want to see him billed for the police call.

Once, several years ago, my local Target had higher grade Leatherman multi-tools on the peg for the cheaper ones. The price difference was approximately $60 each. Since they were locked onto the peg I asked for help to get them unlocked and to confirm the price. The employee agreed that they were the lower price. At the checkstand the lower price was first disputed but then honored as the employee stated they were mispriced. I bought all 4, kept 1, and gave the rest as gifts.

If that employee had told me that they were mistakenly placed in the wrong area, I wouldn’t have publicly shamed them or threatened a lawsuit. WTF?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.