Gentleman crams suitcase into bag size checker at airport, it gets stuck

Originally published at: Gentleman crams suitcase into bag size checker at airport, it gets stuck | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

6 Likes

That’s as silly as trying to win a rigged carnival game. The only way to beat those bag size checkers is to find a way not to get your bag inside it in the first place.

9 Likes

That was a much more relaxed atmosphere that I was expecting from a video of dumb stuff happening in an airport.

5 Likes

Whoever pulls this out again is to get the King of Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2

18 Likes

winner GIF

5 Likes

Those things are so stupid. I’ve had bags that were explicitly designed to fit, but once they’re full of stuff and all the buckles and straps are bulging, even 1/4” ensures they won’t fit. On the other hand, I’ve never had any issue actually getting bags into the overhead bin without taking up more than my fair share of space.

3 Likes

I’ve seen ones designed to ensure that a hard-shell rollaboard that meets the standard 22"x14"x9" dimensions doesn’t quite fit. The one in the video might be one of them.

4 Likes

Play stupid games and win stupid prizes!

1 Like

One problem is there isn’t a standard spec. There are four or five different specs around the world depending on which airlines you might want to fly with.

That said, I’ve never been asked to test the dimensions of my carry-on baggage.

2 Likes

The standard I’m talking about are the dimensions that fulfill the “45 total inches” rule for a carry-on in Western countries and that the cabin luggage compartments on large jets made by Boeing or Airbus can accommodate. It’s not an official standard (despite all airlines’ use of the word) but it’s a de facto one.

The point is that these luggage templates are all BS when it comes to testing bags of those dimensions, whatever the airline or country. They exist only as a pretext. I’ve been asked to put my bag in them a handful of times, but I know how to be cheerfully exasperating enough that it never went in.

1 Like

Carry-on luggage is a classic example of broken incentives. They charge (often a lot) for checking a bag, and make the process a hassle. This makes everyone want to abuse carry-on, which makes airlines have to be dicks about it, which in turn makes people be even bigger dicks about it. People jump lines in the boarding order, crowd the gate area, and make gate attendants’ lives difficult, all so they can get carry-on space first.

Charge for overhead bin space, not for checked bags (to a reasonable point, say) and watch how all these problems go away.

5 Likes

Flight attendants can be stupider. I travel a lot, some planes have a power converter under the seats next to the aisle that reduces the space underneath but the window seat is unaffected. I’ve had my carry-on forced to be checked because “it won’t fit” even when I have a window seat.

Easy there- they are professionals doing a job. It may be a policy they can’t control, or they may know things you don’t about the power converter being in a different place on different planes, and it can’t always be known which you will get. That “stupid person” is trained to save your life and if you fly a lot, may well do so someday.

6 Likes

Yeah, I had that once or twice, usually because of overstuffed overhead bins. I’m a bit more comfortable with checking at the plane since it goes directly into the plane (though I’d still prefer not to). On multi-leg flights I’ve had them misroute enough bags that I do everything I can to avoid checking at the counter or skycap. Plus, it’s usually first out at the carousel since it was last in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.