Gentleman ignores advice not to drive jeep without brakes

Phew, thanks. Much better now it’s been ficksed. :wink:

2 Likes

“… also, I’m high as balls right now. Did I, er, do anything dumb? And why’s everything, like, on its side? Whose car is this anyway?”

3 Likes

If that was a standard, I have to wonder what kind of maroon can’t keep from rolling back on an incline.
bugs

Engine braking yes, but I suspect that the hand brake wouldn’t work what with the wheel being half off. The brake on that side wouldn’t work and there might be enough slack that the other side wouldn’t hole either. Mind you, I can vouch for the fact that a handbrake that’s only working on one side will only hold a car on a gentle slope…

Vehicles vary, but the emergency brake is usually designed as an entirely separate system to the main brakes. Discs at the wheels for the main brakes, plus a small drum located centrally for the handbrake.

But, yeah, the partially dislocated wheel probably isn’t contributing much.

This whole video feels awfully engineered to me. The ending was certainly rather unpredictable and dangerous, but that’s par for the course even with pandering attempts at virality. I just… this lacks a certain verisimilitude to genuine un-premeditated stupidity.

It is, to a degree. Guys says, “Imma drive the jeep with no brakes up my trailer ramp.”

Other person thinks, “That will be a shit show, Imma record it.”

Yeah, maybe it’s the very obvious “I’m gonna do something stupid! giggle giggle” while his friend goes “I’m gonna film something stupid! giggle giggle”. There’s no surprise, just morbid curiosity about how many people will end up maimed and broken.

1 Like

It’s a jeep, that sort of tom foolery is common.

1 Like

Generally speaking, if a car has drive wheels in the rear, and disc brakes in the rear, this is true. There’s a couple of different systems but they are basically drum-brake-inside-a-disc-rotor, the only real differences are in the linkages. I have worked on very few vehicles with true disc emergency brakes.

But if a car’s design is old enough to have rear drum brakes, it’ll use the same brake shoes for the main brakes and parking/emergency brake. Or at least I’ve never seen any other system! The hydraulic wheel cylinder that forces both brake shoes outwards into the drum during normal braking will be at the top of the assembly, and the mechanical lever that forces (at least one of) the shoes outwards during emergency braking will be at or near the bottom.

Almost but not entirely off subject, I have discovered that Australia has a law requiring cars to be sold with a spare tire. This is a law the USA could certainly use! I’m jealous of you Aussies.

Around 30% of US cars are sold without spares, now. Car salesmen here will say “oh, this car is so reliable and so packed with features that you don’t need it and it would be impossible to fit a spare in this stylish and super efficient aerodynamic body design!” and then you look it up, and the exact same car is sold in Oz with a spare.

True enough. Also: pilonidal cysts.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.