Gentleman who paid $537,084 for a Pepe the Frog NFT files lawsuit after creator releases 46 identical NFTs for free

Originally published at: Gentleman who paid $537,084 for a Pepe the Frog NFT files lawsuit after creator releases 46 identical NFTs for free | Boing Boing

1 Like

I love this story. He said 99 would remain and wouldn’t be sold, and by gum if he wasn’t true to his word.

21 Likes

12 Likes

C’mon, bruh, look on the bright side: You now own the only ‘rare Pepe’ that someone was dumb enough to buy; which is obviously even more unique thanks to its storied history!

12 Likes

The buyer can hardly claim he thought it was a “unique asset” if, upfront, the DAO said it was making 100 of them.

Yeah, exactly. Seriously, I find this whole lawsuit confusing because the whole premise of NFTs is that you take something that other people can get for free (the actual linked media) and attach it to an NFT that’s has worth only because someone paid money for it. It doesn’t seem like the situation is any different here - only he paid money for his, so it should be just as valuable as it was before the free ones were released, as no one paid money for those.

8 Likes

I just had to go look…

1 Like

Now this is what I call performance art. Bravo, sir.

10 Likes

Scammer/sucker upset that the nature of the scam he invested in was revealed earlier than his opportunity to profit from the scam by dumping it on other suckers for profit. News at 11.

8 Likes

23 Likes

I’ve got an NFT of the world’s smallest violin around here somewhere. I’ll sell it to you cheap.

11 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes

Take my money GIF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.