Gentlemen arrested for buying a $140,000 Porsche and several Rolex watches with fake checks he printed with home computer

All that for some Cellinis and two tone Ladies DJs.

…And then driving it home, and hanging out for a few days.

2 Likes

Cut to an old article in Motor Trend magazine (the 90s) where the writer told of law enforcement officers in Italy routinely letting off drivers for infractions and accidents when they were driving Ferraris.

4 Likes

Abagnale romanticized his own exploits in his autobiography and DiCaprio basically played him as the brilliant, smooth-talking hearthrob he imagined himself to be.

If you happen to be a narcissist sociopath and the idea of a life on the lam isn’t as alluring as it once was then a steady job with the Feds isn’t such a bad gig.

4 Likes

Yeah, when I bought my jeep (1997), they ran my credit report, copied my license, and gave me the jeep. I had 3-5 days to arrange financing with my bank.

2 Likes

His lawyer will plead that his client was the victim of a misheard lyric.
He thought it was “money for nothing and your checks for free”

5 Likes

It’s common practice if you’re getting your own financing instead of the dealer’s. In fact, I’m sitting here looking at my new CR-V that I’ve been driving since Friday while waiting for my bank to process my loan app. And, it already has permanent tags on it. Now granted it’s not $139,000, but I’m driving a car that I won’t pay for until sometime close to the end of this week.

3 Likes

Thou shalt check thyself, before thou art wrecked.

Probably should have a fake identity well established, before trying to pull off the fake check routine.

2 Likes

Huh, Thanks very much. I had assumed with the routing number and account number they could at least make sure the check was valid. Amazing anyone accepts checks anymore at all.

1 Like

Amazing and terrifying. A lot of US government stuff still depends on EFT (“e-check”) (if you want to avoid fees anyway) and it chills me to the bone that someone with that pair of numbers that are plainly written on thousands of pieces of paper can empty my bank account with no questions asked.

2 Likes

As a reader from the UK I’m surprised how much faith is still given to checks in the USA, we have almost ended the use of personal cheques(!) Even the previous method of guaranteeing a retailer cover for £100 ended in 2011.

Carefull, in Florida you commited a felony despite the fact that you told them to hold the check. Not sure about the laws in other states.

Many of these systems are doing a sort of credit check against a database. The machine will actually reject some checks and there are even redress numbers you can punch in to bypass.

Yeah, in UK people only accept personal cheques from people they know really well (or know exactly where they live, if you take my meaning) or else they wait until the cheque has fully cleared before releasing any goods.

In France it is an offence to write a cheque on an account which does not at that moment have enough funds to cover it. No post-dating, either.

This is my first question with most stories about people committing crimes. My personal theory is that it’s the criminal equivalent of those people who think that they’re such geniuses that when they come up with an idea or a question, they arrogantly assume that nobody else in the history of the world, including lifelong experts in fields they know nothing about, has ever had the same thought or done any research on the same question.
I’ve only heard of counterfeit money, I bet nobody’s tried counterfeit checks before!
The police would never suspect that the boyfriend could be the killer!
I’ll hide the drugs up my butt, where nobody would ever think to look!
Etc.

2 Likes

Checks and debit cards freak me out for the same reason. It’s more of a hassle, but I have a ‘staging’ checking account with only how much money I need to pay out e-checks for utilities etc as a firewall to my actual money.

Most people who work in the payments industry will advise against ever using debit cards for transactions - at least in the US. If you have the means, it’s much safer to always use credit.

Laws are in place that limit liability to only $50 max (and most of the time this is waived) in the event of fraudulent activity. Debit transactions do not have these same protections (again, in the US. Other countries are far more advanced naturally).

There are other pros/cons too but merchants naturally push people towards debit because it’s cheaper for them - not because there’s any benefit to shoppers.

Tip: you can always bypass the debit option at the Point of Sale - even if the merchant makes it difficult and non-obvious to do so.

2 Likes
  1. Purchase (or be supplied with) new orange attire

1 Like

$40,000?! That’s exorbitant! I could build one for under $9,000:

$1,500 for the life-sized silicone “doll”
$4,000 for a nice silk kimono and obi set (could probably make do with a $1000 - $2,000 set, but why not splurge a little?)
$300 for the accessories (umbrella, sandals, hair pin, etc.)
$1,000 for labor in acquiring and assembling the final product
$1,800 for shipping and handling and insurance (I used Maine to Nagoya as the basis because… why not?)
Total: $8,600, and she’d be poseable instead of a fixed fiberglass figure.

For another $250, I’d throw in a base with steel doll posing rod to support her standing up.

Doesn’t include import duties. Not sure what those would be, but hey, if you have $9K to blow on a life-size Rem doll, you’re probably not going to have trouble covering those to clear customs.

Probably how Boba Fett was priced out. Looks like Mr. Fett was built on a clothing mannequin base. More stable that way, but articulation is sacrificed. If I was going to plunk down that kind of cash for a life-sized replica, I’d want it to be poseable. It doesn’t even look like Mr. Fett and I could easily borrow each other’s uniform, armor, and weapons, as all good roomies do!

(Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy one if I had that kind of spare change. (Whistles tunelessly…))

1 Like