George Carlin explains Fury Road

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/george-carlin-explains-fury-ro.html

12 Likes

A Hot Take from beyond the grave. That’s a new one.

13 Likes

clarity

4 Likes

To mirror this, Innuendo Studios, one of the best breadtube creators around right now, has an INCREDIBLE set of essays on this same topic called Bringing Back What’s Stolen. It discusses how Fury Road both exemplifies and undermines the major, sexist female action archetypes, while creating new, empowering archetypes from those molds. Absolutely recommended.

12 Likes

This is great. I miss that guy.

13 Likes

I just recently showed Fury Road to my 14 year olds. It’s amazing how this narrative not only serves to illustrate Carlin’s point about toxic masculinity, but also highlights the counterpoints that are scattered throughout the film; the graffiti inside the “breeders” prison, the reform that Nux goes through when shown the slightest feminine compassion, the ultimate destination being a promised land of female leadership (even if it’s lost and they have to rebuild it).

Edited for clarity.

11 Likes

It still hurts sometimes to realize that Carlin is gone from this world. At least he gave us words to consider. I still miss him.

12 Likes

Of various artists that I miss like Carlin, Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett I will take solace that going forward they are not around to supremely disappoint me.

5 Likes

I miss George Carlin. He spoke truth to power, righteously so.

6 Likes

He ends with the perfect reply to ‘not all men’: just enough to fuck things up.

7 Likes

Carlin is a bit of his time (some of what he had said is cringey to more modern intersectional progressive ears) but he always got the broad strokes right in a world that didn’t even do that much. Fury Road is in my top three favorite films of all time (she says, surprising nobody from her avatar) so this pairing with Carlin is very nice.

9 Likes

Thought it looked familiar! :joy:

1 Like

Hell, except for the occasional swear word that wouldn’t have been out of place in a college level social studies class. Who put this mix together?

2 Likes

Thank you for the rec and seconding, great breakdown of tropes.

1 Like

Well said.

I wish, sort-of, that he were around for the present US administration. I mean, I wouldn’t want to inflict this hell on anyone who doesn’t have to be here (!), especially anyone who’s already had the good fortune to have died (“sorry, that winning powerball ticket we’ve been paying out to you was fake, we want our money back”). But if, by some bit of quantum happenstance, there was a timeline where Carlin was alive during this administration, well… it would probably be a tiny bit better than the one we find ourselves in, by virtue of him being one of the wisest of the court jesters and speaking truth to everyone without worry of repercussions. C’est la vie.

1 Like

Damn, how did I ever miss this bit of Carlin’s?

New to me, but good stuff; imposing it over Fury Road (which I love) is just harrowing.

5 Likes

I like Carlin, he got to the point quickly and then just kept smacking you with it.

The best comedians tell truths that aren’t funny, they just want you to do and be better people.

4 Likes

Sometimes we think we know where we are but we don’t really know when we are.

3 Likes

Genuine thanks for sharing that; I ended up watching the whole series of vids.

Best quote which really resonates with me:

“Power in the hands of the disadvantaged is very threatening to those with privilege.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.