George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord' gets its first music video and it's star-studded

Originally published at: George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord' gets its first music video and it's star-studded | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I recognized a few others, like Kate Micucci and Riki Lindhome, but also Jeff F’ing Lynne of ELO, who doesn’t appear to have changed a bit since the late 70’s.

10 Likes

Rumor has it some of the garden gnomes on the album cover were in fact, self replicating machine elves from the other side of the DMT experience…also, very cool video for such a wonderful song!!

5 Likes

i had the same thought! they went by him and i said (out loud) “was that… was that Jeff Lynne??”

5 Likes

I already liked the song. I really enjoyed the video. It was fun to see how many people I could name as they popped up on the screen.

3 Likes

The Ringo / Joe Walsh popcorn toss made it all come together for me.

12 Likes

i dunno man. This thing just felt like it was trying way too hard and something about calling it an “official video” years after George has passed seems wrong.

While not the “official” video, I think this video of the song is wayyyy better and actually shows George’s sense of humor coming from the man himself: George Harrison Pirate Song - YouTube

5 Likes

I’ll be pleased when Fred Armisen is no longer the go-to when someone wants to make ‘quirky’ video.

5 Likes

but also Jeff F’ing Lynne of ELO

Has anyone ever seen his eyes?

2 Likes

Not to mention being backed up by Neil Innes.

Harrison showed up a lot on RWT.

4 Likes

Any members of The Chiffons?

2 Likes

Kudos for naming their kid “Marshall Tucker Bangs”. A name that should get a kid teased, but only by adults over 50.

1 Like

That was absolutely wonderful. While I had no idea what was going on, I still really enjoyed it.

Such a great song (and the story behind the lawsuits it caused is fascinating).

It’s hard to believe that George has been gone for 20 years now. Watching him smoke like a chimney in Get Back just made me just want to reach through the screen and make him stop.

1 Like

Ouch.

3 Likes

isn’t Dhani Harrison one of the producers, and in the video? hard to get more official than that, i mean, without George’s express approval from beyond the grave.

1 Like

i dunno. It just doesn’t feel right. The parade of celebrities feel pandering. and even like the timing of the edit doesn’t convey the feeling of the music. I feel like the concept would work better without the music as an experimental film without the celebrities. but then… if it feels like it wouldn’t work without the celebrities, would it work at all? It reminds me of a criticism I’ve heard leveled at a lot of recent disney projects. that they rely too much on what you bring to them in terms of nostalgia or like “hey there’s that thing I’m already a fan of” more than actual new experience. If the point is that they should stop and enjoy the thing rather than searching, Well I as a viewer can’t do that. I was trying to figure out what was happening the whole time and constantly being interrupted by celebrities taking me out of the narrative completely. I was distracted from the music trying to read people’s lips and decipher the thing. If anything the moral of the video seems to be to stop watching the video and just enjoy the music.

1 Like

I never knew about RWT, but my first thought when George started singing the Pirate Song was “Eric Idle!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.