Watch the new official video for The Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/26/watch-the-new-official-video-f.html

6 Likes

video unavailable in your region?

ETA @pesco what vpn location should we be using to see this?

ETAMORE okay odd it just didn’t like the VPN to begin with even though it was going through the USA.

1 Like

With the sound off, maybe.
Ahh, no not then either.

Thank you for posting this! I love it.

3 Likes

That was lovely.

5 Likes

i love all the footage and still shots! but i still can’t help thinking about how profoundly unhappy they all were at that point. they were all so OVER being “the Beatles,” and really needed a break.

also: god i miss george harrison.

6 Likes

All of us synth nerds are noting the contemporary Minimoog Voyager XL in the video rather than a proper Moog modular.

4 Likes

Being surrounded by yes men is always dangerous, but there is a very specific moral hazard of nostalgia that comes with fame. It’s normal to be obsessed with memories of one’s youth, but most people have to square that against the abject disinterest of the world. We’re forced to confront the insignificance and ephemeral nature of even our most treasured memories. Tears in the rain, etc. But that can never happen for anyone of Beatles-level fame. Everyone around you wants to amplify the importance of those memories because it validates their own as well. What a weird feedback loop to be stuck in.

3 Likes

To me, this was nowhere near as good a video as the one that ran in the beginning for the game “The Beatles: Rock Band.” This one just didn’t evoke the era. And the shadow of the hand claps and drumming just made me wish they had dubbed the song over film of the band in the Abbey Road studios. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eJbPxSs-Fk

3 Likes

Meh. Nothing but literal sepia-toned Boomer nostalgia.

1 Like

I prefer Sheryl Crowe’s cover of this song; sorry, not sorry.

While I celebrate their entire catalog, that is one of the most boring videos I’ve ever seen. It’s like a screen saver.

I mean, compare to this…

5 Likes

You can also watch my unofficial (and ironic) video for the song (with the non-remastered, although shortened, version):

I have a feeling maybe people aren’t getting this. I made it 11 years ago. It’s about global warming (well - these days called climate change) and the impact big oil companies have on it, and the wars they cause. This was made at a time when the US was not as oil independent as now and our reliance on foreign oil was a major problem. So the video is addressing a few issues.

3 Likes

It’s alright.

5 Likes

After the shit show that was Let it Be, from most accounts it seems like Abbey Road had relatively little conflict. They had more or less broken up at this point, and George Martin instilled a sense of discipline among the Beatles. It seems to me that without all the pressures of the previous albums they were able to get together when they felt like it, set aside their egos, and just put out a great album and it really showed. Let it Be just felt labored and heavy while Abbey Road is great song after great song and it seems like they are actually having some fun with the material.

3 Likes

I completely agree. When I watch it I think, wow, I guess somebody is pretty good at motion graphics. Congratulations on that.

Came here to post the same thing. Beautifully stylized and evokes every era of The Beatles.

Works via NYC.

Agreed.

My favorite late-era Beatles video complete with wives though I believe all of this was shot separately as the band was pretty much broken up at this point (though not officially. John was out but it was Paul’s McCartney album that nailed that coffin).

2 Likes

I haven’t even seen the old official video.

1 Like