Sneak preview of The Beatles: Get Back with fantastic unseen footage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/21/sneak-preview-of-the-beatles-get-back-with-fantastic-unseen-footage.html

4 Likes

i thought i had seen and heard enough of the Beatles to last me the rest of my life, but this looks incredible. like it was just filmed! wow. now i can’t wait to see MORE.

11 Likes

That’s absolutely the genius of this, cleaning up the footage to modern quality.

6 Likes

I can’t wait. Between this and the release of Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road, there are so many musical docs I’m looking forward to.

4 Likes

How on earth is there any unseen Beatles footage?

Next thing we’ll have a close up of JFK from inside the limo.

2 Likes

The whole story is about how miserable they were in this period-- even this little clip shows it ain’t totally so. They sure do look happy and like they are having fun. And christ but they are good at what they do, and the professionalism on display is awesome.

4 Likes

I wonder if it will go into the original version of this song, that exists on some bootlegs.

1 Like

Back when I was torrenting I made it a point to seek out all of the super rare video and audio I could and seed them heavily. The original footage from the Let It Be film, the “lost” masters from these sessions ( the bootleg had a specific name I don’t recall; The Black Album, maybe?), the only digital print of Star Wars pre-1998 edits (Japanese laserdisc), the Stones’ Cocksucker Blues, etc. The Let It Be film was pretty much all just footage of staged studio shots and the rooftop concert. It was kind of boring. However, I would watch all 56 hours of this!

2 Likes

Yoko was everywhere. What a drag for the other guys.

2 Likes

Tentatively interested, but if it’s two hours of them mugging for the cameras, it’s gonna be exhausting.

I saw Linda McCartney in the footage and I thought I spotted their oldest daughter. I think the Yoko Ono trope is a bit tired. They all had their significant others hanging about so I’m not sure Yoko was more of a drag than any of the rest.

8 Likes

Thanks for doing the good work

1 Like

And not the least bit true. Yoko did not break up the Beatles. They had their own problems between the 4 of them that had nothing to do with their partners. It’s just a bunch of racist, misogynistic garbage that she was the catalyst of their break up.

Also, John Lennon was abusive to his first wife and just kind of an asshole all around, by many accounts.

I’d love it if we could bring the Fab Four back down to earth as the actual human beings they were. Talented, fantastic song-writers, sometimes jerks, but always fully human.

5 Likes

Because she’s Asian.

Seriously, @fishymcdonk, the massively fucked up shit Eric Clapton pulled on George Harrison (who still called him a friend afterward) was an actual thing that contributed to the fatigue that eventually split them up. But Pattie Boyd is a cute blonde white girl, so dragging her wasn’t as compelling for the white male-run rock press at the time. They wrote about it like it was some fucking romance!

Yoko was a massively accomplished artist years before John ever met her. They admired each other for their talent and depth of compassion for humanity. A human society that had, in many ways treated them like trash. They were deeply in love until the moment he was murdered in front of her on their own doorstep.

Yoko was villified because she was Japanese. Full stop. In spite of all of the hate she endured, she has only ever brought messages of peace and love to humanity.

Also: Clapton is a middling piece of trash. End rant.

8 Likes

Nailed it.

3 Likes

@ficuswhisperer introduced me to this clip and I think both you and @cannibalpeas might “enjoy”: the racist piece of shit shredding…

Spinal Tap played this better when they were mocking people doing shit like that. Much better.

4 Likes

Japanese, eccentric, unconventional. Take your pick. She was the “weird” one so she made an easy target.

I’ve said it a hundred times before and I’ll say it again - Yoko didn’t break up the Beatles, the Beatles broke up the Beatles.

You had 4 young and incredibly talented guys with 4 incredibly huge egos that were under intense pressure to keep the money train rolling ever forward. They released 13 albums in fewer than 10 years - many of which are considered masterpieces for the ages. It’s no surprise they flamed out. Far worse bands have broken up over far less.

5 Likes

Surely 4 young and 3 incredibly talented?

2 Likes

This is something that a lot of people just don’t comprehend. They worked non stop and their output never waned (in most peoples’ estimation; Abbey Road was actually their last recording). Work ethic is laudable, but the quality of their work was astonishing and changed fairly dramatically album to album.

By the time of their first US hit (Feb ‘64, iirc) they had been a band for more than half of their career (sans Ringo, natch). They put in years of hard work before they ever even entered a recording booth (well, except for with Tony Sheridan).

Anything more than a cursory look at their career adds up to one conclusion; they were fucking exhausted. Exhausted from being chased down every street, exhausted from having every word parsed and criticized, exhausted from being deified by a generation in need of new gods.

And throughout it all, and for years after, they only wanted to say one thing to us:

“And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

3 Likes

70sshow-kelso-burn

2 Likes