"The Beatles: Get Back" is a scrumptious feast

Originally published at: "The Beatles: Get Back" is a scrumptious feast | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’m curious to see if there is a major overhaul of the Wikipedia entry for the album “Let It Be” - as it is written now, it still maintains the old narrative that the four were viciously fighting, hated each other, could barely speak to each other - while we definitely see the tension that was there, it’s MUCH less acrimonious than the story we’ve believed all these years.

8 Likes

Problem is, Wikipedia relies on secondary sources and books on the Beatles tend to follow that narrative. The new documentary shifts that narrative but Wikipedians can’t interpret the film for the article. Once enough writers deal with the new narrative, the article can be changed significantly. But it’s going to be a long battle from different camps.

5 Likes

maybe the jokes just did not work anymore…
the same ol’ song…

1 Like

Witnessing the birth of McCartney’s song Get Back as it happened in real time was worth the price of admission. One of many goosebump moments.

5 Likes

i’ve just started part 3 (which is supposed to be the highlight), and there are so many incredible little moments that are just amazing to me that it all just keeps me going. from the simple fashions to things like Linda and Yoko just hanging out, talking, and the banter… it’s all fascinating.

i wonder if other huge bands from that time had happened to have hours of studio film of them creating now well-known songs, would it be as interesting? i kind of think it would. the creative process is so interesting.

5 Likes

On my second run-through, the thing that really strikes me (which I of course knew but this doc throws into relief) is just how charismatic each of these guys were. Lennon in particular is magnetic as all get-out (when the heroin isn’t at work, that is) - you can’t take your eyes off him. It’s startling.

2 Likes

I never got into the Beatles but I love any behind the scenes stuff like this so I’ll give it a watch.

Now, where is my daughter’s Disney+ password. I’m surprised they haven’t cut off the multiple household watching yet.

3 Likes

I was weirdly fascinated by their preferred studio snack, which appeared to be just… toast. So much toast.

I hadn’t really listened to them much in a few years, but after watching this, I’ve felt interested again.

1 Like

and marmalade! stacks and stacks of it. so very british. it made me want some.

3 Likes

My wife and I were amused by how much toast there was. While I do like toast, it looked like it was often just sitting there and was probably cold. Ugh. You have to eat it quickly. Well, at least I do.

1 Like

Some of the things that caught my attention.

1. How all of them played multiple instruments. Guitar, bass, piano. Factor in their young ages and you can see incredibly talented musicians they were. Awe and jealousy surged through me quite often.

2. How effortlessly Billy Preston’s playing synced in. Another incredibly talented musician. It also seemed like Billy and Ringo really hit it off as there were a number of shots of the two of them chatting

3. The reactions from the crowds for the rooftop performance. Most people seemed to enjoy it. I really liked the older guy who looked like he was a priest or pastor. However, there were ultra grumpy “It’s disrupting my business” folks. And while this was all about the Beatles, I had the Kinks “Young Conservatives” going through my head a few times.

4. Putting the camera in the reception area and getting that video of the police was a great touch. I really liked it when the receptionist told the police they shouldn’t actually go on the roof because of the weight. Don’t know if it was a real concern or just great improv. If the latter, that’s a great receptionist.

5. The small tuning pegs on the six string bass guitar kept distracting me. They looked like pegs on a regular electric guitar. I guess I am so used to the big pegs on most basses, including my own.

6. I really liked seeing everyone piled into the room to listen to the takes.

There is definitely more, but this is what comes to top of mind.

6 Likes

My grandma used to toast day old bread, then dry it out in the oven, and put it in a cookie jar. As kids it was a treat to eat with peanut butter. We called it hard toast. I think the fancy people called it Melba toast. We didn’t realize grandma was poor.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Hm. I suppose if you are talking about the teenage frenzy that accompanied their music that’s true, but Howard Goodall makes a strong case that they really were in a league of their own when it comes to composing.

3 Likes

There’s also this tome:

Overly technical and serious, as I recall, but tis a bona fide musicologist defending them.

2 Likes

They had the talent, and they put in the work.

6 Likes

i was just remarking on this last night, while working through part three. i mean, i knew Paul played bass and piano, but did i know before now that he could play drums? no! and Ringo jumping on the piano, puzzling out “Octopus’s Garden” with George and Billy Preston. all musical ability is magic to me, but to add on the ability to play so many instruments is basically wizardry in my mind.

6 Likes

This guy never heard jazz, I guess.

While it definitely is an interesting documentary, I did get bored at times. As I’m sure many of the persons in the studio were too. It’s amazing to me how many times Yoko is just sitting there, doing nothing. Weren’t she bored out of her mind?

It’s a pity Let It Be is such a lackluster album. There’s like three good songs on it. None of them by Lennon, surprisingly, whom I otherwise consider the best songwriter in the group.

1 Like