German airline Lufthansa given record $4m fine after refusing to board Jews on Frankfurt flight

In other words, unchecked corruption.

5 Likes

I wonder if Mike Pence does this.

3 Likes

What the fuck? Like, (a) how do could you possibly know that didn’t happen, and (b) why would one Jew have any more responsibility over the bad behavior of another Jew than any other non-Jewish stranger? If I’m on a flight with 128 Americans, and two or three Americans are misbehaving, it is not my responsibility as an American to try to control that misbehaving person. And punishing me because I didn’t do so is not right.

4 Likes

Right?
It’s all the same to Lufthansa (ETA: and the courts) if they are trying to trade seats because they want to sit next to their BFF or because they find women to be too much of a temptation into evil to sit next to, but it sure makes a difference for the women.

2 Likes

Think of police departments and officers who do nothing when they see corruption, prejudice, and violence. That’s the point of putting ‘good’ in scare quotes: you’re not a good member of a group if you say nothing when someone in your group is dangerous to others….you’re part of the problem.

What they were doing was dangerous (and rude, and prejudicial), and people get booted off of flights all the time for what transpired.

1 Like

Isn’t that the same rationale people use to justify all kinds of discrimination against various religious/ethnic groups though?

If a bunch of Sikhs boarded a plane at the same airport and some subset of those Sikhs acted like assholes, would that be a reasonable justification for denying anyone in a turban from boarding at the next airport whether they had any relationship to the offenders or not?

1 Like

That’s why I shifted the comparison to police officers, to take religion out of the mix.

1 Like

But this isn’t a story about police officers. It’s not even a story about a group of people who were traveling together. It’s a story about people who were treated as a homogenous group and faced collective punishment for the actions of some because they happened to share the same religion. You can’t “take religion out of the mix” in a story about religious discrimination.

3 Likes

We’re not talking one or two guys. The problem was that it was a large number of scofflaws that affected the flight attendants’ ability to maintain order. No, it wasn’t everyone in the entire group that was going to the same event, but it sounds like it was chaos on that flight. You can’t blame the airline for not wanting a repeat on the second leg. It’s not like they said “no Jews on the flight”; they said “no one who was on the previous flight that had been so affected”. I would not have felt safe on that first flight, and if I found out I’d have to be on a second leg with them, I would probably be trying to change my itinerary to avoid it. You don’t realize how scary these guys are to women, especially when they recognize that you’re Jewish too, but not the right sort.

1 Like