Get the Kindle edition of Frank Herbert's classic novel Dune at a bargain price

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/05/get-the-kindle-edition-of-fran.html

3 Likes

I kinda want to read that again. I wonder how well it would hold up 20+ years later?

3 Likes

I’ll stick to my worthless, dog-eared paperback copies, thanks.

1 Like

Dune is exactly the kind of book I think an e-reader is best for. Unwieldy long paperbacks that start coming apart in my hands after only one or two reads.

I am pretty sure the Library has Dune. Check Libby.

8 Likes

“Don’t hesitate to take advantage of this great deal! Fear is the mind-killer!”

8 Likes

Kull wahad! That is a great deal.

5 Likes

I’ve read mine at least five or six times, and had them for 20 years! But yeah, those spines are a bit crackly.

4 Likes

The first novel holds up pretty well. Just duck out before the series gets to the part where a teenage Duncan Idaho clone turns out to be so good at sex that he defeats the sex witches sent to enslave humanity with their all-powerful vaginas.

4 Likes

So just like my first read through then. Actually I couldn’t get into the second book so it ended there for me.

ETA I would like to read more Herbert but I think I like the lets explore humans adapting to harsh environments aspect more than the over arching multiple book saga part so the first book in the series seems to do it for me.

4 Likes

If you can find the unabridged, 23.5 hour audiobook narrated by George Guidall I highly recommend it. I listen to it once every couple of years. It’s hard to find as most digital versions are the one narrated by five people.

1 Like

Rejected 23 times until it was finally picked up by a group better known for automotive manuals, the story goes.

I found out this was a thing recently:
https://twitter.com/dankdunememes

Do people seriously start turning into sandworms eventually…? I missed that spoiler.

2 Likes

Shown right on the dustcover for God Emperor of Dune.

5 Likes

I thought that was a metaphor, or something.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how anyone doesn’t own Dune. I’ve got a few copies, paper and digital. I think half of my paper copy of Dune Messiah has gone missing though. First paperback printing, the glue kinda wore out.

1 Like

Depends on how easy it is to use the glossary on a Kindle, I think. I remember reading the book as a high school assignment and both admiring and resenting the conceit of making it “immersive” with so many invented words that a glossary was required. I’ve hated, but respected, the book ever since.

1 Like

S’tori, Satori. Come on.

2 Likes

You were no doubt better read and more erudite than I in high school. Heck, I just had to google “Satori”. Perhaps I can’t lay all of that on Herbert.

I re-read it every few years and continue to love it. But the sequels…

2 Likes

You could sum up a pretty large portion of the series that way.

4 Likes

The preceding book – Children of Dune – indicated man-to-worm transition, the (one) man being Leto II.

3 Likes