Get these digital calipers for a super-low price with promo code

Found it very interesting that these have a (possibly hidden) serial output port. Apparently people have used this for cheap milling machine readouts.

2 Likes

I think auto shutoff is actually a placebo on some of these. A simple LCD display like that takes almost no power, witness a digital watch that can run for years on a single coin cell. Display draw may be less than the battery self discharge depending on the chemistry. Especially on models that keep the position counter on even when the display is off aren’t ready saving much when “off”.

Maybe if you have one that connects to a computer to record the data.

Reading a dial to two decimals is, I argue, usually faster because the contrast is higher and light source direction doesn’t matter. It might take longer to interpolate that third decimal, but if you are taking measurements so quickly that you need the digital readout to “save time” vs a dial, you aren’t taking the time to position them in a way that justifies recording three decimals of precision anyhow.

What is Princess Awful?

1 Like

A Canadian firm that sells cheap tat.

It’s the Canadian version of Harbour Freight. A little better, but not much.

I’ve tried “upgrading” to digital calipers at least twice, and now those two hang out in the drawer with their dead batteries while the old dial calipers do all the work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.