Getting better at painting gaming miniatures

Cost, volume, quality, and technology.

Molds for (industrial scale) pewter are usually made from vulcanized rubber, which is cheap(er) but experiences wear over time. The ones for injected plastic are usually steel, which is much more expensive but holds very fine detail for what is effectively “forever”. The plastic used for injection is much cheaper to buy and ship than the pewter. At high volume over a long time, steel/injected plastic is more cost-effective and better-detailed.

They’re also better for the consumer. Modern plastics and resins are tough and light enough that they can’t really hurt themselves with their own weight (unlike soft metal minis). The plastic Reaper uses also bonds better to paint than metal does, so a painted mini stays nicely-painted longer—the toughness of the material also plays into this. Resins vary on this, but almost universally do better than metal.

2 Likes

There is actually a convention for mini-painters now:

2 Likes

Here is what I am painting now, the 15mm doughboys from All Quiet on the Martian Front. A little challenging to paint, but much easier and more fun now that I have a swing arm florescent lamp with mag lens. I’m loving that and my new wet palette.

5 Likes

Vallejo paint rack progress: https://imgur.com/a/IBu3l
Going to back it with tempered masonite painted black and frame it with African mohogany.

1 Like

Whoa, that is wonderful. Love the swivel action. I would love to have something like that for my paints, but my collection is such a mish-mash of Citadel, Army Painter, Valejo, Ral Partha, and others.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.