Getting started in old school Dungeons & Dragons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/10/getting-started-in-old-school-dungeons-dragons.html

5 Likes

Questing Beast is a very good resource. I like his map drawing videos

I don’t get why anyone wants to play old school D&D.

What I’m looking for in RPG is a story. Video games handle the battle simulation better then pin and paper can ever do. This is why I prefer Blades in the Dark.

To get drunk and make fun of the rules and let characters get killed and not get too attached? Even video games have you get attached to characters a lot, except for roguelikes.

Having randomly generated characters that you “have” to play as is actually something that some people like, which I discovered over time. Having to adapt to the crap the game throws at you can be /fun/

1 Like

The primary reason I do it is it’s fun, especially with the right group.

And rolling dice can be fun just by itself. A narrative is already being imposed, we just supply a touch of tension when we have to roll anything.

We’ve had to do D&D Basic (Moldvay, 1980) this past summer with 6-foot minimum distances, covered faces, and a projector showing against a cloth for our miniatures, marching order, and maps. It’s worked pretty well, but with winter, we need the garage for other things.

So we might be switching to discord for our socially distanced tabletop sessions.

Try Fiasco, I’m sure there is a D&D playset.

I prefer purpose built rule systems so that everyone is on board with what the night’s activity will be. Last time I did OSR game it wasn’t fun. Some people wanted a beer and laugh others wanted a campaign.

It could be that I never played D&D when I was a teen. I don’t have any nostalgia for old game systems. In my teen’s t I was learning double book accounting from Battletech and Mechwarrior RPG.

Sounds like you have misunderstood what OSR and the older D&D rules were about. Storytelling trumps rules and dice in the old way of playing. I know. I was there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.