Ghostly magical castle appears in the clouds over eastern China

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/16/ghostly-magical-castle-appears.html

I think I saw that video a couple of years ago.

Hey @mr_raccoon, are you referring to this?

2 Likes

Here’s a better image of it:

14 Likes

Around here, if you see a ghostly castle appearing in the clouds, it’s just bad weather.

10 Likes

mortal engines london

Did London happen to visit China that day?

6 Likes

The Magisterium isn’t going to be happy about so many people discovering dust.

6 Likes

I literally just finished replaying that yesterday.

1 Like

Assuming this is real video of the Fata Morgana phenomenon (as opposed to CGI or someone filming through glass and getting a reflection of a poster or something), then the “magical castle” should match up with the city’s skyline. Which it doesn’t really seem to (the city seems to lack those kinds of spires).

So… actual floating magic castle, then?

Either the city keeps experiencing a highly localized Fata Morgana phenomenon that’s only captured by one or two people, or someone decided to follow up their previous CGI social media viral hit with a new video.

5 Likes

Laputa? Definitely Laputa.

9 Likes

Don’t really see how this is a Fata Morgana as those examples given in the video were much closer to the horizon line. No idea what it is.

2 Likes

Bad CGI

5 Likes

Search YouTube for the Captain Disillusion video called “Floating City DEBUNK” for a full breakdown of what’s actually happening here. Short version: Not a mirage, it’s basic CGI.

5 Likes

Must be a slow news day when the debunking video (more famous than the original) was old news to most people.

1 Like

We were in Edinburgh for the last Festival (which I hope wasn’t the last Festival), and were constantly amazed by the many breathtaking angles from which the castle could be seen.

2 Likes

Whether it is Avalon, Brigadoon, Shangri-La, Annwn, or Lintukoto, the way 2020 has gone, I might just skip on in if it appeared to me.

1 Like

This skeptic is assuming that this is a fake video, pending competent analysis by Captain D.

1 Like

Just the Hawkmen doing some urban renewal projects

7 Likes

I wish boingboing would stop calling this sort of (clumsy) movie effects ‘fata morgana’.

A fata morgana / mirage is e specific atmospherical effect. This is extremely obviously not that effect. It’s like calling a (fake)lasershow a lightning storm. Not even close.