Incredible photos of huge ships mysteriously floating in the air above UK seas

Originally published at: Incredible photos of huge ships mysteriously floating in the air above UK seas | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Is Bruce Willis onboard?

10 Likes

It’s annoying that the article’s explanatory illustration shows a ship whose underwater portion is visible. Yeah, that would happen if a ship floated in the air, but it doesn’t happen with a superior mirage (as the photos show), and seeing the distinction is part of understanding the optical illusion

4 Likes

Hmmmmmm…

I’m calling bullshit on this.

In the image used by the Guardian, the ship does appear to be floating above the horizon.

But in this image taken by another photographer and uploaded to twitter there is an optical illusion taking place, but I don’t think it qualifies as a mirage.

5 Likes

The missing keel should be a pretty good clue that the mirage effect is occurring

5 Likes

and the guardian is wrong. again.

its not a mirage at all (enhanced contrast):

its foggy mist, a bank, which just covers the last bit of the horizon and the ship happens to be over the mist. would this be a mirage, you would see at least some distortion and/or mirroring of the ship; there is none.

furthermore:

9 Likes
1 Like

Yes. I read the explanations and they all said its magic. I burned a couple of witches, so I think we’re safe now.

2 Likes

“No, Minister, we haven’t quite perfected the cloaking device. We’re about a third of the way there. Which third, sir? Upwards, naturally.”

1 Like

I am sorry but… really?

This is a very, very common occurrence on many coasts, I must have seen them hundreds of them.

By the way it is not always a mirage. If the sea near the horizon has a similar colour to the sky near the horizon you can get a white-out like scenario where the horizon appears to be lower where the sea is shallower and darker. (Deep water = clearer ==> takes on colour of the local light/sky. Shallow sea = silted = darker.)

JPEGging artifacts can make this even more pronounced.

1 Like

Here is what a superior mirage looks like…

As other people have pointed out, a mirage is distorted where the web examples show an undistorted ship. If you squint, or fiddle with the contrast, you can see the actual horizon further up. The sea in the foreground is possibly shadowed by cloud, giving you the high contrast edge that you mistake for the horizon.

Floating or hovering using some sort of jet propulsion?!

This is the way that aliens introduced “the virus”…
It’s called Covid not Overtid… WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

1 Like

So people don’t understand how this “seeing” thing works?

I certainly don’t remember that ship being able to fly when I was a crew member. That’s definitely not a retrofit I foresaw.

2 Likes

Everyone is WRONG!

The fact that these things are being seen off of UK coastline is because it is ALL BECAUSE OF BREXIT!

They didn’t tell us they’d be erecting a force field around the island (N. Ireland is obviously outside this field due to the Protocol, of course) to keep those foreigners out. The illegal asylum seekers will start from Calais in their rubber boats and half-way across will fall into the abyss these images show.

This is what the £350m a week is being spent on instead of the NHS!!

It’s all Priti Vacant Patel’s doing, I tell you.

/s?

1 Like
  1. Only the portion of the vessel above the waterline is shown “hovering” in these images. 2. There is water around the vessels in both of the photos shown above, and you can see it if you examine the images carefully. It’s reflecting a much lighter portion of the sky around both ships, so it has much less contrast than the water in the foreground.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.