Giant claws in spaaaaace

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/22/giant-claws-in-spaaaaace.html

6 Likes
32 Likes

And maybe grab and toss Chinese, Russian, Indian, Iranian, North Korean sats into the Sun.

Maybe.

5 Likes

Is a Donald Pleasance Blofeld behind this scheme?

22 Likes

I mean, they would probably toss them back to earth. But I highly highly highly doubt that will happen. Besides violating treaties, you don’t want to start a “war” you wouldn’t win.

6 Likes

I don’t know why, but this reminded me of the Angry Alligator.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/gemini-ix-crew-found-angry-alligator-in-earth-orbit

4 Likes

16 Likes

Someone must have recently binged some 007 movies.

19 Likes
3 Likes

it reminds me of a bacteriophage

12 Likes

Back in the 1960, McDonnell Douglas Aircraft made a design study for a modified Mercury capsule to be used for similar work.

GUS GRISSOM IS TIRED OF YOUR NONSENSE.

baker-p20a-mercury

11 Likes

Please please please please please please paint eyes on it.

24 Likes

My first thought, too.

4 Likes

The Claw chooses who will go and who must stay!

4 Likes

the big question is will they need a clawship for their clawship once it becomes space junk. each new ship with bigger and bigger claws. until, i guess, it’s big enough to fling the earth into the sun. then it’s just one lonely, very big, clawship.

hmm… maybe that’s where all the other civilizations went… :thinking:

4 Likes

I dunno, it just feels so… inefficient.

Seems to make more sense if a couple extra thrusters mate itself to the hull, along with a sensor package, then one of them fire, and the sensor package figure out the dynamics so the other thrusters can join in to push the whole thing out of orbit.

Seems more plausible than “claws in space”.

2 Likes

shouldn’t be too hard to grab something, start everything spinning, and then dump most of that energy by letting go at the right moment to send it down. Don’t have to waste extra rockets and electronic packages for each target that way.

4 Likes

Oh man, if space-claw starts injecting instructions into captured ships to turn themselves into space-claw factories, we’ll know something has gone truly awry…

3 Likes

they forgot the spacewalker that got literally cut-off

3 Likes

Sure gang, leave it to me…

It’s December, right? It’s gotta be Santa Claws…

4 Likes