Giant string-like creature composed of "millions of interconnected clones" found off the coast of Australia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/16/giant-string-like-creature-com.html

1 Like

Was it this one?

5 Likes

futurama-bender-neat

5 Likes

Fuck! It knows how to use remotely operated deep sea vehicles too???!!

16 Likes

It’s a conga line!

1 Like

About time! This is so obvious!

If I were going to invade this planet, I would definitely choose a small, simple, fast-replicating organism.

I was thinking bacteria. They form colonial streams under stress, you know – very useful for invading hominid planets.

But this Apolemia may be a better approach.

2 Likes

Things that I have spent way too much time wondering about, no kidding:

Are corals animals or plants? Coral, a sessile animal, relies on its relationship with plant-like algae to build the largest structures of biological origin on Earth [but probably not for long]

So far in 2020, I have learned very tiny things with no brains and also gigantic things with no brains are perfectly capable of killing us. It’s not like I spend a lot of time ocean-diving. I’m not even near the ocean. But more and more, I am inclined to agree with Werner Herzog that nature not only doesn’t care about humans, in fact nature is ruthless and brutal and most of us just don’t realize it.

The production values are a bit iffy, and it’s very long (~2 hours) and I learned a lot. Quite “an awful lot” in every sense of these words.

If you can’t stand Werner Herzog this video will not improve your opinion. I listened to the whole thing last night. That man has one of the most interesting minds of our era.

1 Like

5G tendrils

Indeed. I have this worldview in mind when I speak in terms of invading this planet.

I am reminded of a line near the end of John Carpenter’s good-but-not-really-necessary remake of the classic 1960 film Village of the Damned, where the xeno-child tells captive xeno-hunter Kirstie Alley that “Life has set us in a great contest” and then dissects her.

I can’t find that clip, so never mind the remake, which as I say is good, indeed very good if you like this kind of thing, which I do. But I remain grumpy because Carpenter is capable of highly original, thought-provoking horror (see “Prince of Darkness”) and his Village of the Damned isn’t it.

Here is a clip for the original Village of the Damned (adapted from the novel The Midwich Cuckoos (1957) by John Wyndham).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.