Gideon Irving's trippy music video was made in one take without CGI or greenscreen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/09/gideon-irvings-special-effec.html

13 Likes

Super lovely!

1 Like

I used to work on a lot of the old Joe Sedelmaier commercials (post Wendy’s & FedEx”. This is how we did them. Lots of rehearsals and timing was everything. I enjoyed watching the “making of” video because I appreciate the work everyone did to pull this off.

9 Likes

Neat%20-%20Bender%2C%20Futurama

Though I suspect he broke up looking at his robot because he got laid looking at his robot.

3 Likes

Looks great and looks like a ton of fun!

2 Likes

Can’t imagine the planning for that. Well done!

2 Likes

That’s next level choreography.

3 Likes

While this is indeed very cool, it’s not fully true to say it was done without some manipulation, likely computer aided.
38 seconds into the song, at “send a note looking at my” they have chosen to re-colour the notebook on the non-mirrored side to red. The actual notebook is blue, as seen in the Behind the Scenes video.
I am not sure why they would have chosen to do this, as other than that it really does all appear to be a true mirrored video without digital manipulation.
-=DT=-

5 Likes

If you like these 1-take music videos with crazy choreography, you may also want to check out the band “OK Go”
This one couldn’t have been too difficult though, after all it only lasts about 10 seconds :slight_smile: : OK Go – The One Moment – Official Video - YouTube

2 Likes

Wait…

Blue notebook and red notebook?

5 Likes

Cool video, even with the, “Smartphones are bad, mmmkay?” subtext.

2 Likes

Shades of Kevin Rowland I’m hearing in this guy.

Ah. “Playfully sad” is one of my favourite human emotions!

There are several ways to swap colors like this that don’t involve CG.

One possibility is bluescreen. Another possibility (assuming it’s film) is creative use of dodging and burning or bleach. If it’s video, you can also change the tint and overlay the video, but that can get into questions of “what is a computer?”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.