WATCH: New OK Go video has drones, scooters, human pixels, and a catchy tune

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Amazing. The display at the end has me really curious about how they worked out the timing. It has to be difficult for one person to stay on target, and keeping them all synchronized makes it something very special.

Of course NK stadium actors do it all the time, so I guess there is plenty of experience to draw upon.

( ⌣́,⌣̀) I never cared much for Jamiroquoi.

The song is garbage, but the video is off the hook. Busby Berkley is jealous right now. I’m guessing the camera was on a quadcopter drone?

All in one take?
I think there is some heavy handed post production going on.

no doubt, but as seamless as it appears makes me puzzled about where the in-camera/digital transitions lie.

This isn’t their first rodeo.

1 Like

Actually, I thought the Busby Berkeley thing was more imaginative, if somewhat incoherent. I assume both movies had some very heavy-duty post-processing going on, but BB had to operate without CGI, so his accomplishment is technically very impressive.

1 Like

:smile:
that was cool

@starrygordon I believe the BB clip is a montage, hence the incoherence.

Yeah, it is done extremely well. Im just thinking that to get this done physically in one take would require at least a couple of weeks or more with that entire ensemble?
But then I imagine that they arent going to spend a ton of time and money on video animators either.

I think the ending with the giant grid of pixels would be easy enough to animate? Or at least animation would be easier than a physically solution… would be easy for one umbrella to ruin that entire take. Of course I dont know step one how video animation works so all assumptions.

Either way, I still greatly enjoy the video. I just want a behind the scenes bonus video!

that was where I actually said out loud “OK, this is computers.” but I admit I’d love to be wrong about that. if I liked the music more I’d be more amenable to watching it more times…

I was coming here to ask who would be more proud? Busby Berkeley or the Ohio State marching band director? And then you went ahead and included a Busby clip.
Love the OK-GO videos.
I could see some cuts, and I have to figure the pixel ending was CGI, but even so, it was amazing!

If only the music was 1/2 as good as the awesome video.

Am I the only one more intrigued by their scooters than the rest of the video? What are those and can I get one?

1 Like

Ever seen a marching band?

Also, sponsored by Microsoft?

Mildly amusing to play this video’s soundtrack while watching the (muted) famous opening crane shot from Touch of Evil; syncs up pretty well if you start OKGO about 4 seconds ahead of Welles.

Also, radios, in ear mics…

Actually, a multicopter that also sits on a dolly. This one:

http://instagram.com/p/sY1QFWiSqg/

First of all, much of the video is clearly filmed at slower speeds (you can see this in the final shot as the drone is pulling up, as two cars zip by very quickly). So it makes it easier to co-ordinate everything more slowly. But there are a lot of things you can do to synchronize large groups of people. Marching bands often give every member a tablet, now. I saw suggestions that each “pixel” in this group could be given an earpiece which simply buzzes when it’s time to open.

Apparently, it’s kinda all in one take. The singers and many of the dancers all move in a single take. But they didn’t have enough of the scooters for the very final scene, so they did a second (or more) takes with additional dancers, and pasted them in at the end.

1 Like

that makes a lot of sense, and would be the only way to get those shots in one take like they did without going full CG fuckery. good on them.

from jump, you can hear the production assistants sound like alvin and the chipmunks when they talk.