Gifted clarinetist's prestigious scholarship sabotaged by ex-girlfriend

So, similar story. Get out your popcorn.

One of my colleagues in [REDACTED] PhD program was also done dirty by a vindictive, unhinged ex-lover, who broke into his email account and sent a very naughty email to my colleague’s entire address book, which included friends, family, and all of his professional contacts. (Including me, which is how I know this story.) Vindictive ex-lover signed their own name to the naughty email.

My colleague was made aware of this almost immediately. He had to send a super-polite, super-concise, mega-professional damage control email to, again, his entire address book. Upon advice, he also forwarded the whole string to the vindictive ex-lover’s academic advisor.

The result was that vindictive ex-lover’s offer of admission to their own PhD program for the forthcoming year was straight-up revoked. The moral of the story is: you wanna sling shit, you’re just gonna get it all over yourself.

13 Likes

If only. https://giphy.com/gifs/wes-anderson-astounding-TtkqQ4MKLoGJ2

The girlfriend must have really low self-esteem to do that sort of thing to him - ruin his future livelihood! What she did was anything but a loving act. I hope he dumps her.

Also, try not to date sociopaths.

5 Likes

Worth reading for:

‘That’s when I knew that something underhanded was afoot,’

I’m glad that, in the end, he was able to surmount the pitfall.

3 Likes

I, for one, hope she is a gifted enough musician to make sufficient bank to make full restitution. Play to pay.

1 Like

Just this week I’ve had 3 packages go missing. And a wedding invite show up a full 2 months after my friends mailed it. Snail mail isn’t exactly Bullet proof.

3 Likes

She sounds nice.

4 Likes

I hear the White House is looking for a new press secretary. Pays pretty well, and she definitely has the moral credentials for the job.

4 Likes

Abramovitz sued his ex-girlfirend, who didn’t bother to turn up in court to defend herself (honestly though, would you?)

This is quite the side point, however:

Hell yes, she should have turned up in court rather than accept a default judgement. Plenty of people have done much worse, hired a lawyer, and received a judgement better than the worst possible judgement, which is what you get when you don’t even show up. Where were her parents? The expense of a lawyer would have been well worth it.

2 Likes

I nominate Filterversagen, or “filter failure”. Putting it in German makes it sound more serious to the English ear.

5 Likes

A related moral: lock all of your devices all of the time if other people might have physical access to them.

1 Like

Agree. A school that accepts two students each year should call both successful applicants ahead of written acceptance to advise, “Be on lookout for an important notice. Congratulations.”

The fake rejection would’ve then made no sense, and even just a missing acceptance note would’ve prompted the student to call the school.

8 Likes

I think I dated her, twice.

5 Likes

also fun, set up a honey pot disabled user account left open on your machine to see who tries to snoop. Webcam to smartphone for the win.

1 Like

I have a strong policy of cutting every shit-sandwich I am served in half, so we can all enjoy this delicious meal set out for us by the chef.

2 Likes

Long before email was a thing, the same thing went on with physical mail. The “Spanish Prisoner” scam, which is identical in principle to current Nigerian “419” e-mail scams, originated in physical mail in the 19th century. Similar scams went on in the 1980s with faxes. It isn’t about the medium, it’s that there will always be people who are both greedy and gullible and people willing to prey on them.

3 Likes

AND people willing to watch and enjoy the show. Let’s not forget that third of humanity.

2 Likes

The expense of a single ounce of shame is insurmountable for some.

Yeah, but several of the MRA dudes actually know someone who almost, sort of, had a girlfriend at some point in their lives, so it’s not as if they don’t have some authority on the subject.

1 Like