Gigantic tub o' 22,000 Perler beads

[Permalink]

5 Likes

These things fucking rock, but you gotta be careful about sealant/adhesive choices.

Iā€™ve seen a few coaster few made in splendid retro gaming designs that performed poorly as coasters. I think the sniglet for that is bevemeter.

5 Likes

Letā€™s see some of your daughterā€™s & friendā€™s output, Mark!

Store them in a glass jar or tubeā€¦and put in ā€˜small treasuresā€™. Things like a bit of a ribbon, feather, paperclip, plastic ring, and a penny. Make a list of things you put in.

Then you can shake the jar and it hides the things hidden. You have to check off a list of things you spot in the jar and try to find all the ones on the listā€¦itā€™s harder than you think.

This is also a commercial product called ā€œfind itā€ā€¦it uses very similar mini-beads.

1 Like

Funny, I found this idea, Iā€™m dying to try on Piinterest today: http://www.pinkstripeysocks.com/2014/07/diy-fish-or-fruit-perler-bead-stretch.html

This is a great way to get a lot of Perler beads quite cheap, but having 30 colors all mixed together means youā€™re going to spend a lot of time hunting for the color you need. Some people wonā€™t mind, but I think it would drive me nuts. :frowning: These are also a perfect medium for old-school video game sprites, as you can see from TheBeadLordā€™s Mario sprites. At 5 beads per inch, larger and more detailed images can get big pretty fast. These two that Iā€™ve done are 17"-18" tall.

7 Likes

Fantastic! Those youā€™ve made are really impressive.

I really liked the 3D tree on the main page too.

Thanks! The images were taken directly from screenshots of the game Puyo Puyo Sun, so the effort came not from creativity, but from persistence and the challenges of color matching.

Thereā€™s another similar beads-on-pegboards medium called PixelHobby that also works well for this type of art. With PixelHobby, the ā€œbeadsā€ are 1/10th-inch cubes with a hole on the back side. Unlike Perler, there is no ironing; the pegboards remain as part of the completed piece. Because of this, itā€™s a little more expensive per pixelā€¦ but there are also 300 or so colors. There is also a computer program that takes an image and creates printable patterns which you can put behind the clear pegboards as you work, and also does color matching and optimization so you know which colors to buy. Hereā€™s a 20,000-pixel one I made.

4 Likes

Its like cross-stitch for geeks! Cool!

5 Likes

Yes, yes it is. Oddly, I still use this sniglet fairly often if Iā€™m ever at a drinking establishment that uses napkins instead of coasters, but fails to put a salt shaker on the table.

2 Likes

Or you can build a sorting machine. They are usually made for M&Ms or other candies, but the principle is the same, only the color resolution and the number of sorting bins is increased. (For simplicity you can go multipass; with six-bin machine you can have color 1ā€¦5, and ā€œall elseā€, and iterate through color subsets until the set is exhausted. If a way to cycle the ā€œall elseā€ bin back is implemented, you can even go with just two-options sorter, ā€œdesired colorā€ and ā€œall elseā€, and let it operate overnight; just put enough cups on a conveyor belt for the ā€œdesired colorā€ bin.)

4 Likes

I put together an Instructable on how to make somewhat realistic-looking (dithered) images from a small color set. The idea is to make a low resolution limited palette gif and use it as a placement guide. Might be useful with these, although they seem to come in so many more colors that the technique is less necessary.

1 Like

Yes my kids love these beads too. To my bare feet, on the other hand, they are most villainous. The kids room is a minefield.

2 Likes

DIP integrated circuits are worse. Their pins are sharp and they tend to land legs-up like a dead bug. And when you step on one, the pins will first pierce and then bend.
ā€¦donā€™t ask how I knowā€¦

2 Likes

I am really hoping youā€™ll either hang on to all the artwork for the rest of your life, Mark, or find a way to put the polyethylene plastic wad in the plastic-recycling stream. The fine folks at 5gyres.org are finding plastics in all our oceans, gyres of plastic garbage justā€¦ everywhere.

See also:
http://www.surfrider.org/programs/entry/rise-above-plastics

I realize itā€™s not cool here to point out plasticā€™s obvious impacts to the environment, not just during its petroleum extraction phase, its stinky air-polluting manufacture into plastics, its ā€œoh look pretty colorsā€ lifespan and then, after its usefulness/novelty/charm wears off, its next destination (landfill where itā€™s undecayed for centuries? recycled into something else? etc.). Ok, call me a killjoy then. Iā€™ll deal.

Iā€™d love to see a little more reflection and introspection on Tha bOING, more mindfulness about how tiny plastic bits, however delightful a hobby, are part of a bigger issue that has a direct bearing on the health of Calforniaā€™s coastal waters, the worldā€™s oceans, and all the life in those oceansā€“and not just the fish in your sushi, your supplements, your petā€™s food.

Trying hard here to stay away from the cynical view that the recent uptick in the rampant Amazon affiliate gadget-toy-object lovefest is a mere self-enrichment ploy, because I know just how expensive running and administrating big web sites can be. And yetā€¦ and yetā€¦

3 Likes

I canā€™t speak for the leftover beads ā€“ which Iā€™m sure are filling municipal dumps everywhere ā€“ but if youā€™ve ironed them hot enough, the creations last forever. Which is a good thing, and a bad thing, from the parental perspective!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.