Marble run machine with 11,000 marbles

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/28/marble-run-machine-with-11000.html

10 Likes

What a wonderful, satisfying thing! Pretty sure I could watch for hours.

7 Likes

Needs fewer bells and more jumps.

2 Likes

The bells are a bit pointlesss. The whole thing makes such a din the bells are inaudible. It sounds a bit like an old weaving mill full of clattering looms.

(Or, referencing another of today’s threads, it sounds like any inner-city, trendy, large-scale bar/restaurant on a Friday night. It needs soft/rubber surfaces to replace the hard surfaces the marbles are clattering on currently. And some plush curtains and scatter cushions to soften the fall of the marbles. :wink: )

But mesmerising nonetheless, whether sound is on or off.

5 Likes

My kids and I love watching Jelle’s marble runs. Sadly, his youtube channel somehow lost all of its videos. He had a lot of great stuff on there. At that same Monkeytown place (it’s a sort of indoor play-place with tube mazes), he had built a run that used plastic ball pit balls, which kids could put on the run from entry points within tube maze.

6 Likes

All that white noise would lead to some excellent sleep induction…

1 Like

It’s the answer to Hesse’s The Glass Bead Game in the same way that maybe the Hokey Pokey really is what it’s all about.

But I hear ya on the noise. I imagine it’s like being in a big, busy, used CD store but louder.

2 Likes

12 Likes

That makes me surprisingly happy and excited for some reason. Little glass balls falling through a large wooden structure with houseplants! I want to rip my clothes off and run around in the rain. I can’t explain it.

7 Likes

So noisy, such annoying noise.

2 Likes

And yet when I create a similar artwork using hamsters, people call me a monster.

8 Likes

If the biggest 2 containers (with 1000 and 10,000 marbles) are tipping at the same time, it creates a flood of 11,000 marbles!"

Why not just make the bigger container hold 11,000 marbles?

5 Likes

I wish I had said that.

hqdefault

2 Likes

“You will, Oscar, you will.” :wink:

2 Likes

They say that there is a thin line between genius and madness; but this is the work of a creative individual who certainly hasn’t lost their marbles.

1 Like

2 Likes

You all might enjoy this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He posted on the subreddit TheOcho that he accidentally deleted his channel as he was attempting to remove an inactive Google+ page. Apparently he is going to slowly re-upload his MarbleLympics content.

I think it’s the chaotic predictability (or the predictable chaos?) that is so satisfying.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.