Girl calls over dolphins using a comb and a toothpick

7 Likes

To my mind carnivory is far more ethical than imprisonment of sentient beings, but I’d never try to shout you down. Speak, friend, and be heard!

Read the headline wrong at first as, “Dolphin Call Girls”.

Thought it was related to Bojack Horseman, since that had captive Orca strippers.

hank%20hill%20and%20duke%20the%20dolphin

Peter Griffin might know too.

dolphin%20peter

3 Likes

Just thinking numbers - if 20 dolphins are “imprisoned” I think perhaps the greater good over execution of many times more. Anyway feel free to rip into my stupidity.

2 Likes

First to post this (yay!) – for you humans owned by cats, try this simple experiment: confront your kitty with an ordinary black comb, and with an object vaguely shaped like a small coin, drag across the tines of the comb rapidly. Try different rates.

What often and inexplicably happens is the cat will lick its lips.

Conclusion: animals are strange, but not stranger than humans under very specific conditions.

I aim to please!

Well, no; it’s not stupid, it’s a matter of perspective. You’ve got values, that’s a good thing, right?

Lots of people here would say “chickens are stupid and dolphins are smart, therefore captive dolphins matter more than slaughtered chickens” or some similar sentiment expressing a value judgement based on sentience. I don’t share that perspective at all.

But I don’t agree with your perspective either; as I’ve often said in other threads, I have no problem with death, it’s suffering I hate. Everybody dies, even chickens and dolphins, and I devoutly hope some other living thing gains nourishment from my flesh after I am gone. Take, eat, and be blessed, as far as I’m concerned. Just don’t imprison or torture me, please!

1 Like

that’s fine - we can all have difft thoughts. the only thing I’d add is that pigs are smarter than dogs (and dolphins I’ve heard) and yet how we keep them (mostly) seems like torture too.

also, you note: “Everybody dies, even chickens and dolphins, and I devoutly hope some other living thing gains nourishment from my flesh after I am gone.” Well dies is different than murder (but difft thoughts so lets leave that one be), but you have given me the idea for a new scifi short story where we, as a society adopt your thoughts to the extreme and, thereby, solve the looming healthcare crisis for the aging baby boomer population…if you get my drift…

i aim to hit the snooze button

Yes, very true. Although death is inevitable, and not significant of itself, the circumstances around each individual death are pretty important (at very least, to the living). But that’s a little too off-topic, so like you say we’ll leave it be.

A modest proposal. :slight_smile: It makes me happy to think I’ve helped stimulate independent thinking in others, so thank you for that little confirmation to brighten my day.

Today and in the past, cannibalism isn’t practical because of the disease issue. But in the future, I think there’s a strong possibility we will see the development of vat-grown human meat that can be certified disease free in the same way that the USDA (back before it became a captive regulator) used to certify supermarket meat. Maybe our grandchildren won’t actually be eating us in the future, but once cruelty-free factory produced meat is on the table, “long pig” might be what’s for dinner…

Man, where’s PoPo? This seems like the kind of discussion he’d contribute something from way past left field.

Sadly, it is no longer with us.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.