Girl Scouts in Indiana learn about mortuary science

Great. Now they’ll get new ideas for disposing bodies of people they’ve killed for not buying their cookies.

1 Like

I’m picking up what you’re putting down. I think some of it is just in the name: Mortuary Sciences. But I’ve been wrestling with the expansion of the term STEM. I’m not a gatekeeper and I find gatekeeping boring, but it’s being applied to more and more things. I think @MalevolentPixy was onto something,

There is a reason people tend to graduate from colleges of arts and sciences (where
arts" is “philosophical arts” and not fine arts) and not from a “school of science.” There is a natural interconnection between the two and overlapping ways of thinking. STEM, to me, has always been more of a political construct than a natural category, but I admit I haven’t thought about it more coherently. After all, categories are all political.

1 Like

oddly enough, i have a trust built into my estate that will cover the cost of removing my head prior to cremation and having it cleaned by one of the scientific houses who prepare human skeletons for display in museums and anatomy classrooms. this, so that my skull will be passed on to my best friend as an heirloom of his family if i should die before he does. if he should predecease me, i will receive his ashes so i can distribute them globally.

3 Likes

I like that agreement! It’s very sweet.

2 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.