Ask A Mortician reacts to corpses in films

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/18/ask-a-mortician-reacts-to-corpses-in-films.html

11 Likes

I have to say, I’m really enjoying these “things everyone was asking for/things no one was asking for” videos very much.

14 Likes

Hello, Deathlings!

Love it from the opening line.

5 Likes

Yeah, this is where I had to sign off. When I saw that someone would be a taste tester, I was all NOPE.

(I still love her videos.)

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, the video explicitly states that the “taste testing” is being done before the cremains have been added. :blush:

5 Likes

See? Couldn’t even get that far and look at the parenthetical. As soon as I saw “taste tester” words, I was out of there.

1 Like

Had to quit watching after she flashed photos of actual corpses being embalmed to illustrate her points. Totally fair for her to do so since that’s kind of the theme of her YouTube channel, but today is not the day I want to work on being de-sensitized to actual corpses.

She’s never seen “Goonies”??

Sorry, one tombstone for never seeing “Goonies.”

She was born in the 80s, if I’m not mistaken, so too young to have caught it most likely.

4 Likes

IMO, it’s on the parents who are GenX to introduce their kids to the iconic pop culture we grew up with.

9 Likes

And yet I saw plenty of kids movies produced long before I was born. In fact Goonies is a bit after my time, but I still saw it.

(I was mostly just razzing her, I generally do like her videos, including this one.)

Oh, she is absolutely lovely and delightfull! Fun goth energy!

9 Likes

This lead to a discussion with my nesting partner about why she couldn’t just place my corpse outside in the tree in our front lawn after I’m dead. (My suggestion, not her’s.) Since her main objection seemed to be that I would start to smell after a while, I suggested she could simply have me laminated. It was then that she pointed out I wouldn’t fit through the laminator she has at work, so we’ll just have to find some other solution.

In other words, really typical level of conversation around our house. We do tend to live up to that Dr. Seuss quote!

“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

9 Likes

Have you considered having yourself bronzed instead?

8 Likes

I always thought Ray Brower’s body in Stand By Me was a bit too realistic. Always freaked me out as a kid. I was fine watching the rest of the movie but once they got to showing the dead kid I always got really nervous. Took years of seeing it before I was finally desensitized to it.

1 Like

Great vid (although the popeified Pomeranian distracted me for about 1/2 minute).

2 Likes
3 Likes

This post calls for a TL;DW, cuz honestly this is just not a corpse day for me, but I am really curious how they rate!

As a former funeral director who thinks some topics don’t need to have YouTube channels, her stuff always feels exploitive and tacky. She’s the kind of person who needs to tell EVERYONE at a dinner party what she does for a living, because it’s SO quirky and strange!

Well, that is the good thing about YT. Unlike a dinner party, you aren’t stuck in any conversation for the duration.

Her videos aren’t my thing because her enthusiasm about her topic is not infectious to me the way, say, Adam Savage’s is. It’s cool that she loves her topic, but I don’t think that’s a train I can get on myself.

1 Like