"Girls who code" book series banned by a Pennsylvania school district

Admiral Hopper is one of my heroes. I consider her nom de plume the only correct meaning of the phrase “Amazing Grace.”

5 Likes

Hey look, someone did a story and actually talked to most of the people involved.

4 Likes

Also Holy Fuck it really is about racism. The books were added to a list of book that involved diversity after George Floyd. The existence of such a list offended the powers that be and the confused banning (or technically not banning) happened.

9 Likes

I’m not sure this is much better.

3 Likes

Who wants to initiate a Kickstarter to fund a statue of Ada Lovelace to be installed in that town?

7 Likes

Pick Me I Know GIF by Jackie James

3 Likes

tl;dr:

In August of 2020, educators in the school district compiled a diversity resource reading list in response to the murder of George Floyd. The list was intended to be a tool for teachers to use—a helpful place to find materials to discuss race in the classroom. The list also included media with diverse characters that didn’t necessarily focus on race. The Girls Who Code books were buried on that list—embedded within a link to another list.

In November 2020, the board voted to ban the resources on the list from use in the district’s classrooms, with the last-minute addendum that materials already in use would be excepted. “We are directing that we continue to use previous resources that have been used in the past,” said a school board member in that meeting. The Girls Who Code books were already in the school district libraries as well as in an afterschool program in Central York schools, according to Nicole Montgomery, the district communications director (This is the basis of the school district’s denial of the ban).

There was intense outcry from teachers, then parents, then community advocacy groups against the ban, as it was presented publicly.

Nearly the whole school board (along with district leadership) was ousted and replaced after September 2021.

So, yeah it was banned, but the ban was never effectively enforced and later rescinded. And the whole thing was “look, the lefties put together a list of useful material to discuss this issue. We cannot let that happen!”

Beth Behrs Reaction GIF by CBS

12 Likes

Ah, Frederick…
Kirby Delauter
Kirby Delauter
Kirby Delauter
Kirby Delauter

Oh it’s within reasonable distance… the question on a given day is whether that 45-mile trip will take less than 1 hour or more than 3. (I live in P.G. County; Rockville was bad enough & Reston was worse)

4 Likes

Yes. The trick seems to be 1) be an academic who doesn’t need to go in every day, 2) have no dependants (i.e. no specific dropoff/pickup times), and 3) on the days you go in, arrange it so that you miss both rush hours.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.