"Girls who code" book series banned by a Pennsylvania school district

No, it is home grown American Hate. Calling it the “American Taliban” just allows people to pretend it is foreign and ignore the roots of the problem.

Yes, I used to do it too, but I stopped when I realised what the problem was.

19 Likes

I thought she said “Death to Cobra!”?

4 Likes

in this case, apparently what Barbie meant was “death to COBOL”

12 Likes

One of the right-wing censorship strategies that I’ve seen in others states has been to come up with highly specific qualifications that books need in order to be on school shelves or assigned in class. They’re so restrictive and arbitrary that it removes an enormous number of books from schools. (In some cases, they added the requirements just before school started, not giving teachers enough time to figure out what books could legally be in classrooms, thus requiring them to remove all books…)

6 Likes

kinderkuchekirche

5 Likes

That pesky “Civil” modifier proves to be important. An “American Liberties Union” sounds plausible as a censorious organization, but you’re sure as shit not gonna find a “Moms for Civil Liberties” coming from the Right.

10 Likes

But what about Admiral Grace Hopper?

6 Likes

Except for, ya know, all the REAL LIVE human beings who don’t fit this stereotype… but they don’t count if they don’t fit into a particular narrative, so who cares about them.

It’s amazing you met so many people in such a short span of your life. What an accomplishment! /s

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

So many things triggering me in this thread… :grimacing:

12 Likes
5 Likes

4 Likes

The involvement of Moms for Liberty is still up in the air, but what I’ve been reading is that this was an old ban that was swiftly overturned and the notification the author received might have been for that past action. It’s sounding more and more like a mess of a story that’s made all the more worse by the fact there are so many book bans that we don’t even think twice about it.

Edited to correct typo

2 Likes

Moms for Liberty just got their charity status this year, so it’ll be a while before we see a Form 990.

4 Likes

It’s a strong contender, but I’m holding out for the bizarro satanism accusation category. Possibly involving a logo turtle.

6 Likes

cs pd lt 18 repeat 5 [fd 15 rt 144]

8 Likes

5 Likes

Without going into details (maybe I will, depending on what does or doesn’t happen) this happened in my middle-schooler’s class yesterday, on the part of a substitute teacher. It was right along the lines of what one might expect in a headline about TX or FL. But here we are in MD; like @Mindysan33 & others have pointed out it’s not just “The South.”
(Wait a second; where’s the Mason-Dixon line again? Damn it y’all know what I’m getting at…)
Ok so it’s not just “The South” nor “Pennsyltucky” nor Upstate NY etc.

7 Likes

Charity? Did they snag that by starting to give away those inadequate history books?

2 Likes

Yep, it’s everywhere. e.g.

I think BB ran this one too. For the non-MD local, Frederick is within commuting distance of DC. (Kind of the edge of reasonable commuting distance, but I know people who do it.)

6 Likes

You’re a southerner, although not Deep South. Everything north of Delaware is Yankees, everything south of Delaware is Crackers, and Delawareans themselves are Flatlanders. (The state of Delaware is entirely east of the Mason Dixon line.)

More specifically, she came into Brunswick and pulled this little stunt there. Which, as it turns it, is my own library. Yeah, we weren’t having that shit.

Guess who didn’t win through to the general election run off for school board? This dipshit candidate. :slight_smile:

7 Likes