Give up your dreams of becoming a baker

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/18/give-up-your-dreams-of-becomin.html

6 Likes

Bathos?
I’ll have to dive into these.

8 Likes

Give up your dreams of becoming a baker

Never!

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!
-Dale Wasserman, Man of La Mancha

5 Likes

I’ll probably lose my corporate job this year. MAYBE THIS IS MY CHANCE AT A SECOND START!

Shit. I need to get back down to that weight.

14 Likes
2 Likes

Honestly, I literally laughed out loud a little when he revealed that after he gave up on his dream of being a writer, he made a living editing copy.

Thanks for cluing us into this Youtuber. They have at least one new subscriber today.

2 Likes

Oh, God. I laughed until I cried.

Aspirations != dreams

1 Like

'Pun my word, it’s the yeast you can do if you were bread to it in the flour of youth.

3 Likes

This is great!
I also love that his fall back career recommendation for the roommate is to go to MIT and become an engineer. Because that’s so easy. Subtle reminder that most of us, I think, when we think “millennials” have some notion of privilege in mind, too, and not just a generational group.

2 Likes

Never!

15 Likes

Damn! Okay, then.

Pretty sure I’ll lose my corporate job too. Can I open an artisanal donut shop next to your bakery?

2 Likes

Already lost mine. Can I open my marmalade store on the other side?

4 Likes

As a kid we went on road trips almost every summer and my favorite thing in the world was stopping at a pretty famous local business that made fresh locally sourced marmalades and jams. I still think about those jams, so good.

1 Like

I was given the taste and threat to never steal my father’s m. as a 6-y.o. which was fine in my eyes as it was equally yucky. Flash forward 50 years and I send him homemade stuff done up in Dundee pots I found in the garage.

Finish it w/ a tablespoon of port stirred into each jar or a bit of Yuzu slivers. Hi-fat plain yogurt works for me.

Seville or yuzu shreds soaked in everclear for 6 months (and copious sugar/simple syrup after) go nicely w/ the first half of your handle. For your hands’ sake use the T-shaped peelers; not the straight ones.

Citrus witchcraft is the best … as well as our nominal topic of homemade bread. And this is why the revolution will not be televised until after breakfast.

OTOH I knew someone who never gave up her dream of being a working artist. And has realized that dream so far, although requiring like 100 grand in bailouts, tuition & living expenses for an abandoned career change, a car, medical expenses, etc. from her parents.

Marry me?

1 Like

This thread is an alluring mystery…
Why did @GinAndJuice delete all their contributions???
What is the [quote=“Turnips, post:19, topic:99182”] homemade stuff [/quote] @Turnips writes about?
And what prompted @ChickieD to propose marriage?

Like a game of Clue, without the killing, just fresh bread, proposals, and homemade stuff. :slight_smile:

2 Likes