Gladiator 2: the best unmade movie of all time

Originally published at: Gladiator 2: the best unmade movie of all time | Boing Boing

1 Like

here’s my 15 bucks. just to see if russell crowe can get into the armor.

2 Likes

Speaking of the first Gladiator, I always thought it was a shame the film didn’t get more into Commodus. He may be one of recorded history’s most fucked up people.

5 Likes

Honestly the crazy sequel script actually sounds cool but would work best as a stand alone film that has nothing to do with Gladiator. I can also see it working as a graphic novel

4 Likes

Gremlins 2: The New Batch was the best movie sequel of all time.

Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League was the best unmade movie of all time.

4 Likes

umm, ok. A mission for the gods sounded clever at first, but it after a bit, it sounded as though the script incorporated everything but the kitchen sink.

3 Likes

This sounds Howard the Duck level awful and I want to see it.

4 Likes

The only alternative is Christopher Plummer in The Fall of the Roman Empire. Which was the plot of Gladiator 40 years before and without the action scenes.

3 Likes

So basically it sounds they were going to turn Maximus Decimus Meridius into the dead-family-avenging, god-hunting “Kratos” character from the 2005 God of War game. Even the epilogue in which the protagonist is destined to spend the centuries overseeing humanity’s endless wars. I wonder if that script pitch ended up making it to Sony Interactive after the movie studios passed on it?

4 Likes

Key & Peele have my new favorite take on that.

5 Likes

The Road Warrior and Bride of Frankenstein notwithstanding.
(Who really watches the original Frankenstein or Mad Max very much?)

2 Likes

Not that 2010 was a better movie than 2001, but it’s interesting that the Alien to Aliens divergence is evident there, as well. Both 2xxx movies are wonderful for their own reasons, and while both Alien and 2001 are themselves Genre-defining, both sequels focused on action, buttressed by the story and lore of their first installments to carry that action forward. I’d argue that the fact that they were both action sequels to lore/story-building epic first movies is the whole reason why they were so well received in the first place. Indeed, that’s a narrow path to navigate, to be sure!

4 Likes

I re-watched Terminator and Terminator 2 last weekend. I was struck by how much better T2 is (IMHO), even though T1 is still good.

I started Terminator 3 and quit ten minutes in when the antagonist looks a billboard that says “what is sexy” and conspicuously increase her breasts in size to distract a traffic cop. Say what you will about James Cameron, but at least he had the good taste to stay the hell away from that movie.

4 Likes

This would have been so easy:

Long lost twin.

Do you even soap opera, bro?

3 Likes

and for this crowd The Empire Strikes Back and The Wrath of Khan are just sitting right there

5 Likes

That video now seems to be locked behind some google docs thing.

No one’s going to mention (imo) the craziest part of the whole story? It was written by Nick fucking Cave!
“Nick Cave wrote a sequel to Gladiator” is my new favourite fact, no one will believe me.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.