Enjoy the trailer for the new Doom movie

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/16/enjoy-the-trailer-for-the-new.html

3 Likes

If they can do a movie on Battleship, why not?

4 Likes

It does look rather like they spent more on the glowy title than on the rest of the production. This looks like a Sy-Fy Channel “original”.

10 Likes

Had the same impression, nothing there looked like high production value.

5 Likes

If it worked for the first Doom movies, why not stick with a winning formula?

6 Likes

While making sure Uwe Boll isn’t involved with this on imdb, I found this gem (by the same director of the new Doom movie).

10 Likes

Congrats on making a movie that appeals to no one.

4 Likes

Far off space outpost - CHECK.
Shadowy corporation using said far off space outpost for shadowy corporation shenanigans - CHECK.
Distress call/missed scheduled check-in - CHECK
Space marines/private security arrives - CHECK
Friction among everyone, secrets revealed - CHECK
Hot chick w/BFG going Ripley on the monsters - CHECK
Ending shot tees up obvious sequel - CHECK

Almost like these movies write themselves…

7 Likes

5 Likes

“IT’S NOT A GAME ANYMORE” Yeah, we know. That’s the problem.

23 Likes

GUYS I HAVE A GREAT TITLE FOR THE MOVIE, IT’S NOT ALREADY BEEN VERY FAMOUSLY USED IN A HIGHLY ACCLAIMED, VERY RECENT SCI-FI FILM OR ANYTHING.

“Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?” ?!?! how dare boingboing censor my sarcastic all-caps.

4 Likes

If there’s one thing that the video game Doom is best know for, it’s being a squad based game. Spot on adaptation, movie guys!

It’s a shame Aliens already has dibs on the “Game over, man! Game over!” line.

9 Likes

Three words:

Shared Cinematic Universe.

8 Likes

They should just segue with a Paintball Dog movie, and have an after credits scene where he’s inducted into a Mars Security Service…

ETA:

6 Likes

With Hollywood’s habit of spewing unrelated movie clones at the same time…

5 Likes

“A heart-warming comedy about the friendship between the new kid in town and a cyberdemon-stalking dog…”

4 Likes

This is, of course, the second Doom movie.

The budget is clearly significantly smaller than the 2005 version (which also had a number of known actors, including “The Rock”). It makes sense, as the 2005 film’s box office fell short of its budget. I imagine that there will be future “Doom” movies, each time the budget shrinking. At some point it’ll be a short Youtube video with cardboard props. Possibly that’ll be the next iteration, even.

It strikes me that there’s no way the budget for this movie even came close to the budget for the latest “Doom” game.

It helps if you’re making an adaptation of a video game which, itself, was a distillation of various Hollywood movies…

@WalterStabosz Yeah, the exploding barrel scene in the trailer made me laugh. Like they expect people to see it and say, “Hey, an exploding barrel - it IS a faithful adaptation of the games!”

Given how much the original game was (like so many other games) ripped off inspired by Aliens, I’m surprised it didn’t make its way in there, somewhere.

5 Likes

I did enjoy the brief snatch of chainsaw. (All space bases have chainsaws.)

4 Likes

That looks incredibly generic.

It’s a shame video game properties end up as such terrible movies. My favorite is still Forward Unto Dawn, and nothing else springs to mind as particularly enjoyable.

1 Like

I don’t understand why this is getting posted now. The video is 5 months old. As to comments about its seemingly low production budget, this…whatever it is, is going straight to video streaming in October. Yay.

1 Like