Glassdoor's Fifty Highest Rated CEOs are (drumroll) all men!

so you’re proudly sexist?

1 Like

Someone else mentioned Marisa Mayer. IIRC there was a piece out recently that stated that companies were more likely to bring on a woman as CEO during times of distress. I’d think it’d stand to reason that CEOs strying to turn a company around are going to be doing unpopular things, and therefore not be very popular with the company.

Having worked at more than one company where the CEO was promoted to his level of incompetence, I’m pretty baffled by that, too. At one of them, I was sitting at my desk, working away, while the then regional manager was sitting in a meeting giving “logic” for getting rid of me with dubious stats at best. The publisher concluded the meeting by calling him an idiot (his brother was CEO at the time.) A year later, the incompetent regional manager was CEO. And he never did learn any management skills other than, “How many people do we need to get rid of?”

That was my thought,too. Hey, if the subject is feeeeeeeeemale CEOs, you’re not allowed to express an opinion unless you’re a disabled woman of color! Not allowed to express an opinion? Let the mods handle that, and the last I checked, there wasn’t a race, gender, and disability check on Discourse.

Paging Godwin…

How over-represented are Jewish men on this list, and would the over-representation of Jews change if we replaced the men with women?

Yeah, I went there, and I’m hoping that someone here can tell me why I would go there aside from an obvious snide comment about anti-semitism. I’m evoking anti-semitism, but making a point.

1 Like

Well it could be a human who identifies as a cat…it’s the next logical progression of furry-ism…

You’re implying that employees aren’t “politely suggested” to only thing/say/post positive thoughts about the company?

and by politely suggested I mean on a veiled threat of termination

That is a curious sentiment - please explicate.

Ah, yes, because I’m a wanker.

That’s the only reason I would bring up anti-semitism in this.

See, the thing is…

Did you see a story here on BoingBoing a while back about anti-semitic college admissions standards? Here you go.

The thing is, Jewish people ended up being a victim of stats. When you look in higher education, you’re going to find Jewish people in higher percentages than the general population. When you look at median household income, Jewish Americans are around double that of the general population. When you look at positions of power, they’re vastly over-represented.

Wow, that sounds terrible, doesn’t it, claiming that Jewish people are over-represented? I can see why Dan Lewis went with the anti-semitic angle.

But what happens when we erase the Jewish part of their heritage and just lump them in with white people? Oh, well, now we have a problem we need to solve! All these CEOs are white guys, and we need to replace a lot of 'em with women and POC! And all we had to do was erase their Jewish heritage for it to be OK.

2 Likes

I’m sure that the CEO of the company that I work for would get a 97% min. However, it is a relatively small company.

2 Likes

These trolls are becoming even more boring.

6 Likes

You’re not making a very good point, instead you’re clumsily introducing and reenforcing the old stereotype that Jews run the world.

I’m not going to go down the list and verify which ones have Jewish roots, but it seems based on names that there are about as many South Asians on the list as Jews.

Anti-semitic fail.

1 Like

If you enjoyed the OP, then here’s the firehose:
Congrats, you have an all male panel!

2 Likes

I’ve seen the stat claiming that less than one percent of CEOs are Jewish; it depends on whether you see secular humanists born to Jewish mothers as “Jewish”, I guess. They might not, but Hitler woulda. (I mentioned Hitler! I lose! Haw.) Mea culpa.

Though that same source I found also seems to claim that Christianity is anti-semitic…hm.

Ah yes, the old “if you claim that men don’t care as much about diversity then you must be a sexist!” line…

Next up: “if you complain that most CEOs are white then you must be a racist!

2 Likes

Your face is almost boring.
(this is somewhat above the level of discourse such a comment deserves. Be grateful)

1 Like

Ostensibly white, obviously, but ol’ Charles C Butt (who he?) is surely trying to be our envoy from Planet Beta Carotene.

In poker, that’s called a tell.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself but I didn’t know this thing even existed. There was no campaign forcing us to vote for our guy.

Has someone made a glass ceiling joke yet? If so, kudos. If not, hop to it!

If you read only one response in the thread, @gwwar’s would be the one to read.

2 Likes