Glen Campbell, 1936–2017

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/08/glen-campbell-1936-2017.html

6 Likes

Rest in peace good friend.

15 Likes

He started out a member of the still some what unknown outside of the music world group of studio musicians known as The Wrecking Crew.

ETA from the wikipedia link

I had forgotten he toured with the Beach Boys as well as played uncredited on their albums.

12 Likes

That song off his last album: “I’m Not Going To Miss You” Damn, that’s just sad. Alzheimer’s sucks.

8 Likes

I’ve always loved that song.

3 Likes

I will always remember him just like this.

4 Likes

According to my dad, back in the late '60s he and my mom were in Reno and outside the hotel they were staying in a drunk decided my dad looked like Glen Campbell and wouldn’t take no for an answer. “Aw, hell, Glen, it’s OK, I know it’s you!” And my dad did look quite a bit like Glen Campbell when he was young, despite being almost 10 years younger.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Glen Campbell because of that. RIP, Glen.

8 Likes

Holy crap…I was just listening to Glen Campbell on Spotify while I was painting before heading over here.
Damn.

My favorite song is Wichita Lineman.

…or By the Time I Get to Phoenix.

5 Likes
1 Like

i played this on repeat for quite awhile today.

2 Likes

that movie, “I’ll Be Me,” is incredible. so much courage. definitely worth your time.

3 Likes

He gave us so much…

2 Likes
1 Like

did we miss the big bang

I named my first portfolio website after a line from one of his songs.

www.coal-pile.com

I had that for five years. I don’t know what you will find there now.

1 Like

A true musician.
I also liked him in True Grit.

2 Likes

I have a family member suffering from Alzheimer’s. I tear up every time I heard that song. Part of me is thankful that the pain is over for Campbell and his family. RIP, Rhinestone Cowboy.

1 Like

I really – really – liked the Coen Bros remake and just about everyone in it (Bridges was so much better than John Wayne)…except I longed for Campbell to reprise as Le Boeuf.

3 Likes

When I think of Glen Campbell, I recall his silky smooth voice singing, "I am a lineman for the county… ". He was a gentle and creative soul and I am glad he shared his gifts with us all. Thank you, Glen.

4 Likes