An interview with legendary bass player Carol Kaye

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/13/an-interview-with-legendary-ba.html

8 Likes

I became aware of her from the Carol Keen character in Mrs. Maisel

7 Likes

Absolutely watch the documentary “The Wrecking Crew”, in which she features fairly prominently.

12 Likes

Third the wrecking crew as a must watch.

7 Likes

She is an inspiration for sure!

The Wrecking Crew documentary is a fantastic watch - well worth your time.

1 Like

" Unless you’re a hardcore music nerd" Woo hoo ! I want my badge right now !

1 Like

The only problem i have with documentaries like this they destroy my childhood illusions. The Beach Boys didn’t play their own music? I did not need to know that.

I don’t know. I’ve watched it several times, and I can’t find the bass player.
MV5BMjExMGJlNjUtYzcwOC00NjIxLTk4ZTItNzA5OGE0NDFiYzE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@.V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL

4 Likes

Keep your childhood illusions. Don’t look behind the curtain: Simon and Garfunkle, The Byrds, The Association, Buffalo Springfield, and, brace yourself, Milli Vanilli.

2 Likes

From the article: Fans continue to lobby for her induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

?? You’d think she would have been inducted years ago.

2 Likes

Ohio Players @bluecat?

There’s a great clip of her showing Gene Simmons how it’s done:

1 Like

I studied w/her in LA in the 70’s when she was teaching. Great musician, lady, & advanced soul.
Talked to her several times at NAMM shows therafter-always gracious & generous. A place in the R n’ R Hall of Fame is well deserved.

1 Like

Another good wrecking crew piece - Love this bass line.

Hell, she shoulda been inducted had she done nothing more than the bass line to Wichita Lineman.

1 Like

Carol Kaye is an absolute legend. She has played bass on so many iconic songs.

I highly recommend the Wrecking Crew documentary. It’s on Hulu.

https://www.hulu.com/movie/the-wrecking-crew-b134de13-ce12-47d8-bcdb-22aa06531b3a

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.