Global trumpism: how India's brutal leader manufactures reality with trumped-up "polls"

Being married at the age of roughly 18 is hardly a “child”. Furthermore, you said he’d never married and that is demonstrably untrue.

4 Likes

I wonder where they’re getting these facts from.

Is there a sheet with "known virtues of Dear Leader or something?

1 Like

The trick is that rhetoric works at the same level as fact in the fast processes of the brain - the Type 1 of Daniel Kahneman’s Thinking Fast and Slow. Truthiness is biological!

I think something we need to recognise here is that The Dictator (Hitler, Stalin, Mao,…) is never either left or right; but he’s always a fact ignoring spin doctoring propagandist who uses violence cynically (aside: that’s an insult to Diogenes) as a means to rile up the mob and keep him in power.

Many of whom were/still are Modi’s supporters; he’s exploiting the feeling, not necessarily by providing workable solutions.

They get paid in cash, but almost nobody is dumb enough to keep it in cash. There are lots of routes for it to take:

1. Convert it into gold or other property - ever heard of anyone paying all cash for a car? India is the largest importer of gold in the world, for good reason.
  2. Convert it into land - why do you think there’s a “cash component” in land deals in the first place? Apart from avoiding taxes, it’s a way to launder black money.
  3. For the really advanced player, round-trip it - send it abroad somehow, say through a Hawala transaction, put it in a bank account in the Mauritius, then use a P-note to bring it back and invest it, completely in the clear, mind you, in emerging markets. India’s highest FDI is not from the US, not from the EU, not from Russia or China, but from Mauritius. As ridiculous as that is!

Keeping it in cash is a loser’s move - it doesn’t earn interest, it doesn’t fetch you any other gains. At best you might be able to build a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool and wallow in it. People only keep it in cash for the short term. Most of the money that’s unaccounted is in gold and land.

And yeah, demonetisation doesn’t help one way or another with all that. It only goes after a few small-time traders who are getting mostly paid in cash, and aren’t declaring sales tax.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree. I’d merely point out that many crooks aren’t clever to begin with.

That’s sort of where this started: wondering if Cory’s instincts towards propaganda might not be needed now. I think starting point illustrates the problem: too many committed fact-checkers, too many people who bridle at seeing even hyperbole go uncorrected. I think this is probably an inherently asymmetrical battle.

Yes. We need one of the following (or all)

• a manual on how to win asymmetrical warfare
  • to make it symmetrical by playing their own game
  • to make it symmetrical by bringing the conned back to our game (probably education is the only way)

A global anti-establishment populist backlash (see Italy, now, today) always seems to be right wing (although I accept Shash’s point -they are really just authoritarian scumbags, neither right nor left). Where is the anti-establishment liberal/left version of anti-establishment? Occupy? IdleNoMore? Why do such as those fail to appeal to the mainstream mass who want a backlash? See Austria - neither establishment party in the running, the right wing one lost. I’ve no idea but maybe there’s something to study there.

Ugh, fuck no.

Again, the media is also only receptive to the conservative lies, taking them at face value.

Instinctively, I fully agree. But if the media will not be receptive to our truth, maybe they’ll be receptive to some lies that will be useful to us.

(Or we need new media - just as the right has discovered.)

From which perspective?

Well, not from the authoritarian, populist, anti-establishment backlash, ‘hard-man’, perspective. (Not sure what you’re driving at.)

1 Like

Q: Is there a manual on how to win asymmetrical warfare

QtoQ: From the perspective of the insurgent or from the perspective of the incumbent? (1)

A1One view here http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/FMFRP%2012-18%20%20Mao%20Tse-tung%20on%20Guerrilla%20Warfare.pdf

A2 One view here http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/Repository/Materials/COIN-FM3-24.pdf

There are of course other views. One could easily learn from classicists like Sun Tzu or Von Clausewitz as well. You can find translations on archive.org.

Mao, Castro, Guevara, etc? Elsewhere you asked where the left version of anti-establishment was after all. The 60s/70s certainly had their share of these types who sought some sort of asymmetrical violent re-balancing in the US and in some parts of Europe. Look how well it worked out for them…

1. It is a very Jewish thing to answer a question with a question…

Well, assuming Trump and co to be the incumbents at this point, from the insurgent perspective, if those are the terms to define asymmetry in this case. It was as much a provocation as a genuine question. We need to accept it is asymmetrical and come up with strategies and tactics in response. But we may well learn from some of your sources.
Thanks. I’ll be out of this now (travel).

(It is an educated human’s thing to answer a question with a clarifying question when basis of the original question is not fully grokked.)

1 Like

I don’t like the guy either but you kind of have to have a war to be a war criminal. Mass murderer works just fine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.