Gluing stuff to a motorcycle

Maybe you could ask this guy his secret.

1 Like

I personally like the two-component glues, namely epoxies. Mix it up, add a hardener, optionally add some fillers to taste and properties, apply and let cure. Sticks to many things that have polar moieties on their surfaces, and holds well. And there are no solvent-related issues to bother with.

1 Like

I’ve used it often and results are excellent. Takes a licking and keeps in ticking!

1 Like

I used JB Weld. I have the old copper insignia, and they have been on there 7 years.

I used that or some equivalent weather strip adhesive. One of mine did fall off but it was due to me trying to restore the rubber panel rather than use a new one (soaking it in a rubber restoration chemical made it later weep some and lose adhesion).

To me the hardest part was clamping the panels evenly to the tank while the adhesive set up.

I have never used that, however I have used this on several parts on my bike. Some covers I attached directly to the engine are still on there 10 years later

2 Likes

Bad idea, he started with twice as much but it keeps falling off.

I have regularly used:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Auto-Accessory-Attachment/3M-Tape/Product-Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U52300MM30IHLVJJFH07R3000000_nid=VKWHR3B083beK4JN83P3JZgl
It’s available at auto body supply houses (at least) and you’re addressing this product’s purpose.

Their other products for these purposes:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Auto-Accessory-Attachment/3M-Tape/Product-Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U52300MM30IHLVJJFH07R3000000_nid=V7D61MK153beK4JN83P3JZgl

1 Like

Exactly!

Use the right stuff. BMW part number 07 58 9 062 157. Available from most BMW dealerships. “ADHESIVE LOCTITE 454 - 20G tube. $20.80 Designed for the assembly of difficult-to-bond materials which require uniform stress distribution and strong tension and/or shear strength. The product provides rapid bonding of a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics and elastomers. Universal instant adhesive gel for use with metals, composite materials, wood, cork, foam, leather, cardboard, paper and ceramics. Good filling properties.”

Good luck! --Scottie

Scottie’s Workshop
Vintage BMW Motorcycles
Repairs, Maintenance and Restorations
San Jose CA
408-475-2696

1 Like

I used this to attach a fender extender to the front wheel of a vstom that I road in the PNW rain for 7 years. It works like a charm.

It’s truly absurd how good the double-sided tape is. I was skeptical but it holds up great across seasons and under high speed/wind.

3M must just have a division of the hardest-core adhesive wizards in the industry, guys who are incomprehensibly brilliant and incredibly dangerous.

I’ve tried it to glue the grips to my handlebars. Something about the present set will not allow any adhesive to last long. I got six months before the grips worked loose again.

Best adhesive to date.

I may have to give you a call.

[quote=“Scottie_Sharpe, post:30, topic:41592, full:true”]
Use the right stuff. BMW part number 07 58 9 062 157. [/quote]
Does BMW make their equipment out of some special material that can only be glued by BMW glue?

By the way, all the different versions of 3M double-sided tape that people have mentioned (home and automotive) are essentially the same product in different packaging, though one can get some versions that are a little thinner than others from specialty 3M distributors.

You beat me to it. It’s exactly what I was thinking.

1 Like

I put a big older tank from a /5 series on my '75 R90/6 back in 2001. Rubber kneepads went on with 3M Super Weatherstrip, but old style (cloisonné) roundels used screws, All are still hanging tight today.

It’s not BMW glue. It’s made by Permatex. It’s just stocked by dealers with a BMW part number.

In my shop, we try to stick with the OEM parts and chemicals. It keeps the bikes original, collectable and the resale values high.

I’m just letting you know that the correct glue that BMW used originally to build the bike is still available. If you were pleased with your bike when it was new, why not make it new again by using the same parts and chemicals?

According to the discussion here, until quite recently the BMW part number you gave was associated with Dreibond 1209, a German-made glue that might or might not have been the adhesive BMW originally used on Jason’s bike (Dreibond has only been around 35 years).

Apparently a BMW technical bulletin listed both Permatex PX66BR and 3M 8661 (not the 8001 in the picture in this thread) as acceptable alternatives to the Dreibond 1209 (thought that bulletin was for automotive gaskets, not weatherstripping).

I went with the 3M 03601 and it appears to be doing the job just fine.