GMG Union: Victory! Go back to enjoying Kotaku, Jalopnik, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, The Root, Jezebel

ahem, perhaps you meant to say a Wisconsin institution.

2 Likes

Done.

Kinja is a garbage-ass platform as it is; and I had already stopped frequenting it due to terrible IT glitches.

Itā€™s super easy to refrain from ever going back; barely an inconvenience.

4 Likes

I used to check out io9 pretty much dailyā€¦ but to say the siteā€™s a mere shadow of its former glory would be, frankly, giving it too much credit. Last time I lokked, it seemed to be mainly coming-attractions lists and previews/recaps of the most popular media franchises. io9 used to host excerpts and original fiction, retrospectives of earlier genre works, spotlights on hidden gems, and deeply-thought-out essay/analysis pieces, in addition to cutting-edge science and technology news. They may still, for all I know, but I didnā€™t see much of that on my last few visits. I donā€™t blame the current staff for that-- Iā€™m well aware of the way the rancid, dried-up herb at the top of the company has starved the site (and its siblings) of support and driven its best people away to better opportunities. But to me, the current io9 just doesnā€™t measure up to the early days, back when Annalee Newitz and Charlie Jane Anders ran the place.

Iā€™ve also been in and out of Jezebel and AVClub through the years, but lately I havenā€™t found much there for me either. And Kinja is, beyond a doubt, the worst commenting system Iā€™ve seen in decades of websurfing. (Itā€™s not well-moderated either, as far as I can tell.)

Iā€™m happy to join the boycott out of solidarity for the unionsā€¦ but Iā€™m also kinda sad that it doesnā€™t hurt to do so as much as it might once have.

8 Likes

Kinja is a preeeeetty high bar to clear though, but.

3 Likes

UPDATE:

Victory. As of one hour ago, the GMG Union announced a signed contract with all desired provisions. All.

If a Leader could kindly edit the thread title and update OP, i eould be much obliged. Due to thread age, unable to do so myself.

6 Likes

Done.

4 Likes

FYI, one of the comments today shared where he went:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy/snl-review-oscar-isaac/

2 Likes

Hooray! Back to reading those sites!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.