God damn you 2020

https://voiceofsandiego.org/topics/government/san-diego-kept-quiet-on-plans-for-military-grade-drone-to-catch-speeding-drivers/

San Diego Kept Quiet on Plans for Military-Grade Drone to Catch Speeding Drivers

San Diego kicked around the possibility of using the SkyGuardian drone for vehicle enforcement on the freeway — but asked General Atomics not to discuss that information publicly.

6 Likes

Honestly, if it got cops off the road and out of (killing people) with traffic stops, drone traffic enforcement would be a valid discussion.

7 Likes

Any drone made by General Atomics gives me pause.

6 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

aaaauuuuughggh!!!
No, actually, kinda fascinating in med-nerdy way. But eeeeuuuccchh I get a bit squicked out by eyeball injuries.

16 Likes
9 Likes

Just stumbled in this old topic.

13 Likes

Paywall bypass:
https://archive.is/1Yb3c

8 Likes
8 Likes

Sure, 2020 is a truly fucked up year.
But has anyone taken a close look at 536 CE?

What’s that you say?
No?
:roll_eyes:

Behold:

tl;dr
18 months of global dimming, agriculture crashed, famines, plagues, more eruptions and climate chaos and plagues (this went on for decades more or less) and then suddenly it looks like “civilization” is back up and running because there’s a lot more lead in the air from the restart of the lead smelters (because lead was a useful metal).

You’re welcome.

14 Likes
7 Likes

I feel much better now… :unamused:

11 Likes

I remember reading about that recently, and the time afterward (if you were lucky enough to survive) was a time of great economic mobility and restructuring. I know you posted ironically, but the thought that we might make something good out of all this does sometimes give me hope.
Like, in Maine, our local food economy has been strengthened. One small silver lining.

12 Likes

I don’t know… just the other day I’ve stubbed my toe…

4 Likes

Bad news if you were born in 1960. Caused by 2020.

11 Likes
20 Likes
5 Likes

The high income tax evaders office was wildly lucrative for the IRS, with their tax lawyers routinely bringing in 10+ times their salaries back taxes and fines.

Then George W. Bush fired them all. No one remembers this.

19 Likes