God damn you 2020

13 Likes

Texas has made a habit of executing people proved innocent. The excuses run from “he was found guilty by a jury. Therefore he is guilty” to “that evidence doesn’t count because we don’t like it/ it contradicts what the other experts said/ if we agree that it’s correct it shows that our evidence is made up bullshit.” Followed up with “He was no doubt guilty of something.”

8 Likes

Goddamn you 2020.
I have just read [NYT 24/25 October, 2020](Jerry Jeff Walker, Who Wrote and Sang ‘Mr. Bojangles,’ Dies at 78 https://nyti.ms/35tvpmh) of the passing of the balladeer of my growing up, Jerry Jeff Walker.
This saddens me deeply, as I recall, fondly, nights at Armadillo World HQ in Austin, underage drinking, listening to this crazy, intoxicated yet oddly mesmerizing songster perform some scene-setting music that would define a sound and scene for such artists as Willie, Waylon, Ray Wiley Hubbard, Billy Joe Shaver and the like, who founded this “outlaw country” music thing. It was a major influence on my entire family (pops is a musician and traveled with some big names back then).
RIP, Mr. Walker.
!Viva Terlingua!

14 Likes

This is so awful. I don’t know how I had missed this story; I live less than half a mile from where the murder took place. Lydell Grant had 2 attorneys both get cancer leaving him with a last minute public defender replacement for his trial. The whole case was based on eye witnesses who saw the attacker briefly on a dark street and blatantly misrepresented DNA evidence. Then after a decade in prison he got a new DNA test that not only showed conclusively it wasn’t him but matched someone else who then confessed. The Houston DA and police admit Grant wasn’t the guy and publicly apologized. And 10 months later the Texas appeals court still hasn’t and may never overturn the conviction because they think he hasn’t sufficiently proven his innocence.

Friday I voted against Yeary and the other republicans on the appeals court up for re-election. I really hope they lose and come Jan. 1 their replacements overturn Grant’s conviction on day 1

19 Likes

stay classy, Texass… :roll_eyes:

11 Likes
7 Likes
12 Likes

Me too. I’m hoping they win and a little bit of justice enters the thinking on the court of criminal appeals.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Here comes another one.

15 Likes

Looks like if this is the path it’s one, we could get here in n. GA…

10 Likes

It looks like it will be through before the election. I mean Trump couldn’t possible screw up the emergency response just days before the election, could he?

Also what comes after Zeta?
ETA: Eta.
ETA2: meta?

5 Likes

I’ll wait for the Official White House sharpie corrected map.

:stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Oh, fun… looks like we get leftovers in VA.

5 Likes

Zeta, Zeta, bo-eta
Zeta-fana zo-fana
Fee-fi-mo-zeta
Zeta!

6 Likes

I wanted to eat all that halloween candy myself anyway.

5 Likes

You forgot, “court decisions have to be final or it will erode respect for the judiciary.”

1 Like
10 Likes
10 Likes

Final curse? We still have 2 months to go in 2020… A lot can happen in 2 months, as we’ve learned this year.

16 Likes