God damn you 2020

Oh, that sounds fun!

8 Likes

My friend who just bought that van I mentioned

8 Likes

Cool! Is it just you two or are you going to invite other friends/family for a socially distant turkey day…

I don’t think we’re going to have anyone over this year. Last couple of years, we had my mom over, but given her health conditions, etc, it’s probably not a good idea.

10 Likes

Just us - neither of us had family locally

And trying to keep the virus at bay as much as possible. Her dogs will be there - and I love them!

There will be much leftovers- freezer space must be allocated!

11 Likes

Sounds like it will be a great day!

8 Likes

We always make broth from the bones and other leftovers, but we also always mesquite smoke the turkey, limiting the utility of the broth. Works well for Mexican soups, though.

9 Likes

I’m brining the bird for a full 24 hours ahead of time. Tasty!

10 Likes

We brine pretty much any meats anymore. Can’t beat the perfect seasoning through and through.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Females (fertilized eggs) develop into workers or queens depending on how they are fed as larvae. Hornets, yellowjackets, bumblebees and so on have short-lived nests that at the very least do not last the winter. So they will produce workers for most of the year, then switch to raising new queens to go with males (unfertilized eggs) at the end of it.

11 Likes

So the native hives in Asia should do the same, and this isn’t some new Conquistador Mode. If they can take the winter, they’re going to be a pain to wipe out.

8 Likes

Some encouraging anecdata: my dad’s 80 now and has used a CPAP for years. Much to my own relief, he’s still quite sharp and very, very much on the lookout for bullshit.

12 Likes

Do you brine in a bucket in the garage, like the big boys/girls do?

3 Likes

In the fall and winter when it is cold enough, hell yeah. In the summer, that would be a recipe for salmonella stew, though.

10 Likes

The YouTube channel Sous Vide Everything did an experiment, running a brisket at 135 deg F for 31 days. The result was…epically wrong.

6 Likes

I saw that! Ugh!!!

More salt!!!

4 Likes

Very “interesting” WHOIS data as well: just “Rawalpindi, Pakistan” with no organizational name.

2 Likes

Surely no one actually ate that weapon of gut destruction? Please say no…

4 Likes

this one?

1 Like

I think he tasted it but spit it out. He said it smelled horrible.

5 Likes