God damn you 2020

That’s the one. Eww.

7 Likes

not my idea of good, aged beef… :face_vomiting:

6 Likes

Sous Vide Everything… except that

6 Likes

He’s found quite a few…exceptions to the enthusiasm of the channel’s name.

5 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes

We’re a species that has just arrived in terms of higher thinking. We only have one possible connection to objectivity – if we do at all – and that is the body of sacred writings from the world’s religions. It should be obvious that, to quote my faith, “truth does not admit of division”, but you could just consider what objectivity really means. There’s either one source of truth, or none. In that realm of none you’ll find the notion that an individual can reach a conclusion and thus speak, on their own, for the entirety of all that is. For everyone. But reality doesn’t map itself to something that occurred to Harry Smith of Kensington five minutes ago. And it’s a hit-and-run. I’m sorry. I only wanted to put that out there.

10 Likes

That’s science, not religion, actually. Science seeks to find things that we can objectively measure and understand, not religion. Religions certainly make truth-claims, many of which are more about interpretation, context, and debate, especially out of the Abrahamic tradition. This is why you have the field of theology which sorts through all those less objective truth-claims and sizes up different interpretations of various scripture in order to help guide people on their moral journey through a difficult life.

Religion can help us sort through thorny ethical and moral issues with regards to our place in the world and our relation to the world and each other, but those aren’t “objective” in the way it’s usually meant. It’s incredibly subjective and contingent on context. A very cursory survey of the role of religion in history show that it can be a force used for either liberation or violent oppression.

But that had nothing to do with the song, which is about modern right wing, white supremacist Christian theocrats. If you wish to throw your lot in with that ilk and argue that they are correct (rather than greedy grifters seeking to exploit and profit from people’s deep desire to carve out some meaning in their lives), then you’re certainly not interested in any sort of nuanced discussion on the nature of truth and humanity that rests of ethics or morals raised by the world’s major religions.

16 Likes

It seems unreasonable to place a primacy on truth to sacred writings that were written by people who’s knowledge of the world was so severely limited and would have considered the machine I’m writing this response on to have been the work of magic and not knowledge.

I certainly wouldn’t let one of their physicians treat me.

16 Likes
15 Likes

Headline failure: why are the woman’s lawyers facing execution? Why are they being executed by Coronavirus, and why is it a contract killing?

So many questions.

8 Likes

The west coast was highly susceptible to tsunami already, even without global warming

Good luck stopping TPTB from building more buildings on the beach though

5 Likes

Thank God I’m not crazy for seeing that.

But somehow a sci fi plot jumped into my head:

We all live in domes on a virus wracked planet. Not only are we making no attempts to control the virus, but expert viral engineers are treated like rock stars and given shit tons of money if they can make the virus even more deadly. Meanwhile people get executed for practically trivial crimes, and in order to discourage a fair justice system, criminal defense attorneys get executed as well if they lose.

4 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/federal-utility-fined-900k-nuclear-violations-coverup-74199821

“…it wasn’t like we were 30 minutes away from losing Knoxville, or something like that…”

So I guess we’ll put that in the “positives” column.

13 Likes

Playing fast and loose with a boiler is one thing, playing fast and loose with a fission powered boiler is a whole other level of nope.

9 Likes
14 Likes
19 Likes

Hmm. Where are Eric and Don Jr right now?

12 Likes
16 Likes