God damn you 2020

Just what nobody wanted- sectarian rioting in towns all over the north of Ireland, amidst politicians complaining about the fall-out of Brexit.

14 Likes
8 Likes

if we lose Hatch chilis, we lose a national treasure!

7 Likes

Well they have spent the last few months downplaying loyalist violence so…

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Brits seem to consider Stonehenge both an archeological site and also a sort of living shrine, which each generation is equally entitled to fiddle with

It looks like the stones were most recently rearranged about 60 years ago

https://blog.english-heritage.org.uk/excavation-restoration-stonehenge-1950s-60s

4 Likes

I avoid any and all inkjet printers… laser only, and even then, no HP.

5 Likes

I’d have to say that the LaserJet 5 was the very last good HP printer. Those things were tanks, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see some still around. Then late-stage capitalism happened to HP, and their printers turned to shit. Among the duds I’ve encountered over the years at work or at clients, special mention has to go to the LaserJet 4550N, a Rube Goldberg color laser printer that constantly broke down, and the all-in-one that wouldn’t even scan if it decided that the printhead (not the ink, the PRINTHEAD) was expired.

Epson has gone down this road with cartridge shenanigans as well, though you can at least get the EcoTank models that use ink tanks. Still, it’s only worth it if you’re printing photos on a large scale.

6 Likes

Yeah, we basically use Ricoh or Brother for the last few printers we have…

3 Likes

Whatever HP are doing now you can bet your arse other printer manufacturers will follow suit in due course but it’s not just printers is it, we see the ‘shitty tech adoption curve’ play out in so so many areas. Cricut springs immediately to mind as a recent example.

3 Likes
10 Likes

getting started early this year

UNSEASONABLY HIGH FIRE DANGER THROUGHOUT THIS WEEK

4 Likes
5 Likes

I was talking to me father about something happening on his property, and he said, “We’ve just decided to let nature take its course.” and I said, “There is no nature anymore.”

4 Likes

whatever you may or may not feel about the british monarchy, the thing that strikes me most at this moment is that elizabeth is an old woman who is now more alone than perhaps anyone else on the planet–

16 Likes

That’s a nice sentiment, and I applaud your empathy :heart:, but I think she is one of legion older people who are utterly alone. At least she has help with things like chores.

14 Likes

I agree with both your points there @navarro and @ClutchLinkey, of course i have sympathy for an old woman losing her husband of 73 years but she won’t want for anything or really spend her days all alone watching daytime TV as she still wants to carry on with royal duties.

4 Likes

elizabeth will never wonder where her next meal will come from or how her laundry will get done but that golden cocoon she’s in also prevents her from having anyone to truly share her grief with. the only person she was able to be human with has died and there she sits, trapped in duty like a bug in amber. there’s something dehumanizing about institutions like the british monarchy. i know it seems strange to express this outpouring of sympathy for one of the wealthiest women in the world but i find it in me feel sorry for her.

the mother of one of our closest friends died back in december and her father is in a similar position to elizabeth, in his 90s after the death of his spouse of 70+ years but even he isn’t as alone as she is.

15 Likes

Well put and you make a good case for why this antiquated institution needs to be abolished, just look at the week we’ve had of Victorian stylee mourning or the institutional racism that Harry and Meghan have had to put up with. However, i heard some Tory goon on Question Time last week making the point that in some ways the royal family are the most under privileged family in the country due to their obligations and that’s where i draw the line.

6 Likes